Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking eggs TIME SENSITIVE

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:19 am
Is it true that u need to hard boil an odd amount of eggs in case of a blood spot?

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:29 am
We do it so that you can rely on the fact that the majority don't have blood spots.

However, unless you are using free-range eggs, the chicken that laid your egg was never within a hundred feet of a rooster. Almost certainly the blood spots we find in commercially farmed eggs now aren't real blood.

So, while I would go for the odd number in the future, I wouldn't worry about whatever is already done.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:29 am
I don't know if the below is helpful - because I don't have a source or a great understanding. I think it is basically a minhag.

My mother only boiled an odd amount of eggs (no matter how many she was boiling). My husband says that only applies up to 3 eggs. I think meaning that I shouldn't boil only 1 or 2 eggs. I still only boil odd number of eggs, because that is how I grew up.

It has to do with majority when there might be a possiblilty of a blood spot - meaning that if there was one egg with a blood spot it would be batel amongst the other two. I think it has to do more with the impact it would have on the kashrus of the pot than the actual eggs.

Emunah13

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:31 am
If you cook 3 or more & find blood in one you can eat the rest & pot is kosher

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:33 am
There are 2 concepts.

One is about the bloodspot - you need a majority of non-blood spotted eggs. That's why minimum would be 3.

Then there's the (kabbalah?) concept of not doing things in pairs (zugos) - that's where the odd number always comes in.

We do minimum of three but not always an odd number...

(and then there are those who use a can to cook one. This way it's no big deal to throw away in case there's a blood spot)

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
We do it so that you can rely on the fact that the majority don't have blood spots.

However, unless you are using free-range eggs, the chicken that laid your egg was never within a hundred feet of a rooster. Almost certainly the blood spots we find in commercially farmed eggs now aren't real blood.

So, while I would go for the odd number in the future, I wouldn't worry about whatever is already done.

Things happen. I have never bought a free-range egg in my life, but one fine day I was baking with my kinderlach when I cracked open an egg and found a bloody mess. Literally. Being the squeamish type, I didn't dump the contents into a glass to give a bio lesson about the development of the chick embryo. I swallowed my gorge and my horrified scream and dumped the whole thing in the trash.

Is it possible that some wag took an egg out of a free-range carton (does my supermarket even carry free-range eggs?) and put it in my carton? Possible, though unlikely. More likely that an enterprising hen broke curfew one night, or an egg sorter goofed.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:26 pm
zaq wrote:
Things happen. I have never bought a free-range egg in my life, but one fine day I was baking with my kinderlach when I cracked open an egg and found a bloody mess. Literally. Being the squeamish type, I didn't dump the contents into a glass to give a bio lesson about the development of the chick embryo. I swallowed my gorge and my horrified scream and dumped the whole thing in the trash.

Same thing happened to me once. I think it might have been erev Pesach. If not, it was some other reason for using loads of eggs. There had been an unusual amount in that tray with the regular type of blood spots, then this embryonic one was one of the last. We dumped the rest of the tray after that.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:32 pm
Not an odd number. You must hardboil at least 3, but 4 or 6 are fine.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:20 pm
Has anyone found a blood spot after cooking the egg?

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Has anyone found a blood spot after cooking the egg?

I once peeled a hard boiled egg and found a lot of brown gunk attached to the inside of the shell- I'm assuming that was a blood spot.

IIRC we asked a shayla and the pot and the rest of the eggs were fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen