Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Cutlets instead of capons?

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:26 pm
I found a recipe I wanted to try for RH. Issue is, in my OOT community I couldn’t find any capons, so I bought thin sliced chicken breasts instead. The capon is stuffed with beef fry, and a sautéed onion/egg/crumb mixture.

The recipe calls for 90 min cooking at 350, and I’m worried that they will dry out. But on the other hand I need to make sure the egg cooks through…What do you think?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:33 pm
I would have bought chicken thighs instead, and cut them off the bone. That's what capons really are.

For cutlets, you would definitely want to reduce the cooking time, especially thin-sliced. I would check if they are done after 1/2 hour.

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:40 pm
Hmmmm. I can go back and get pargiyot, maybe I should do that instead.
Do you think that would dry out also?

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:58 pm
esther11 wrote:

Pargiyot and capons are exactly the same thing, the difference is that they leave the skin on the capon, otherwise it's the same part of the chicken.
You're much better off using that, if they're properly moist they won't dry out

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:15 pm
esther11 wrote:
I found a recipe I wanted to try for RH. Issue is, in my OOT community I couldn’t find any capons, so I bought thin sliced chicken breasts instead. The capon is stuffed with beef fry, and a sautéed onion/egg/crumb mixture.

The recipe calls for 90 min cooking at 350, and I’m worried that they will dry out. But on the other hand I need to make sure the egg cooks through…What do you think?

It needs just 30 minutes uncovered if it's a arranged on a cookie sheet. Crumbs on the outside are good to seal in moisture, instead of the skin from the capons.

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:27 pm
esther11 wrote:

Definitely go with the pargiyot. But because there's no skin, I'd drizzle with olive oil and then cook covered for part of the time before uncovering. And baste regularly.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:28 pm
So weird, where I live, a capon is a whole castrated roaster.

https://www.delightedcooking.c.....n.htm

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:35 pm
watergirl wrote:

Yes - My grandmother would cook a capon because it was a large meaty bird and it was definitely a rooster. I think it was the equivalent of serving a turkey since she would cook it for large gatherings.

Roast chickens are much smaller and you would need several roasting chickens to feed a crowd.

I had never heard the term chicken bottoms before imamother either.

Vanilla

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:41 pm
In the Jewish world capons are the entire chicken leg cut off of the bone. I have made my own to save money, but it’s time consuming and takes practice. Just google how to do it, with practice it gets easier.

estreya

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:52 pm
Vanilla wrote:
In the Jewish world capons are the entire chicken leg cut off of the bone. I have made my own to save money, but it’s time consuming and takes practice. Just google how to do it, with practice it gets easier.

Strange -- never heard this before.

Where I live, our butcher sells them but they are the whole bird and much larger than a chicken.

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It needs just 30 minutes uncovered if it's a arranged on a cookie sheet. Crumbs on the outside are good to seal in moisture, instead of the skin from the capons.

Thanks for all the responses!

The recipe called for 90 min covered. I can do 30 min uncovered instead, but I just want to make sure the filling is cooked through.

Should I do pargiyot with crumbs on the outside? Basically try to get as moist as possible!

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:59 pm
watergirl wrote:

Yes, that's the true meaning. Capon as a boneless chicken thigh is an entirely frum phenomenon. It confused me when I first heard someone call a floppy piece of chicken thigh by the name of such a particular delicacy.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:24 pm
esther11 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses!

The recipe called for 90 min covered. I can do 30 min uncovered instead, but I just want to make sure the filling is cooked through.

Should I do pargiyot with crumbs on the outside? Basically try to get as moist as possible!

It will cook through

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It will cook through

Thanks!

Do you think I should bread the pargiyot? Or regular cutlets?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:47 pm
esther11 wrote:
Thanks!

Do you think I should bread the pargiyot? Or regular cutlets?

Either or. You can do 40 minutes with boneless skinless pargiyot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey