Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you use recipes from magazines?
Previous  1  2

Do you use recipes from magazines?
Never  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Once in a while when they have something easy  
 67%  [ 99 ]
Usually once or twice a month  
 7%  [ 11 ]
What do you mean- I love doing it! (Very often)  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 146

HH613

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:51 pm
heidi wrote:
I actually just made the creamed vegetable soup from Family first. It looked so flavorful, roasting veggies before adding to soup. It is completely tasteless.
I am so disappointed. I doubled it of course Crying

Was there a mistake in the recipe or just a bad recipe?

I’ve rarely made recipes from magazines but I always try to use my head (and taste as I go if it’s a recipe where you can) in addition to whatever’s written in the recipe. I prefer recipes online from big websites that have lots of reviews so I can read people’s comments (and modifications). It’s helpful for things like when you read multiple comments that say “way too salty” I’ll know where I may need to edit. There’s a recipe I love that I believe is from mishpacha and on kosher.com but I know there must be a mistake because it requires a batter for little chicken pieces that they describe as a thick batter. Well it only calls for a tiny amount of vinegar as the only liquid to mix with the flour and cornstarch so I know that I just keep adding a little water until there’s a thick batter and Bh it comes out great.

But like other posters have said the recipes are my favorite part of the magazine to look at even though I usually don’t end up using them. But I don’t read them first-I save the best for last 😊

honeymoon

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:19 pm
I clip lots of recipes from Binah's relish. Their recipes are doable, tasty and include ingredients that I usually have at home. The other mags' recipes are often too complicated and not my style.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:25 pm
Not all recipes can be successfully doubled. Sometimes you can double everything else but mustn't double the salt or the seasonings. Sometimes doubling doesn't work for other reasons like the timing of the preparations or the uneven distribution of heat or seasonings or the need to incorporate enough air or other things that are never explained.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:34 pm
I use the easy recipes. Miriam Pascal Cohen, I’m looking at you Smile and a bunch of others are great too.

And I like the Shabbos page where they do a Shabbos at X’s house- I usually find inspo when it’s a down to earth menu.

I only read Mishpacha so I can’t vouch for other magazine recipes.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:35 pm
I made one recipe from the recent yt supplement that bombed. But I have a few on rotation- roasted sweet potato soup from last year sukkos, a few London broil marinades, a grilled chicken marinade, a flanken roast, a mushroom quiche- those come to mind right away.

widowed

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:39 pm
I love them I always figure out ways to make them much easier. I love baking and cooking. It's my thing I do to relax. I have enough recipies to get me through 10 years without duplicating ever and I'm still pulling out new recipes to add to my collection. My family loves it and so do my Shabbos guest( I host weekly) since they know they will be getting something new and exciting every time they come.

acemom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:16 pm
zaq wrote:
None of the choices matched my hashkafa, so I didn't vote. And why do you limit yourself to frum women's 'zines? Secular 'zines are also loaded with recipes. As is the Internet.
I'm an inveterate recipe clipper.
If I actually try 10% of the recipes I clip, that a lot.
Of the recipes I try, if I use 50% of them more than once, that's a lot.
I'm not interested in the fancy-pants potchkerai let's-impress-the-sisterhood stuff they show. And don't get me started on food "stacks." I'm serving food, not creating an installation for the Museum of Modern Art or preparing specimens for microscopy.
I also don't go for fake food, so I won't look at a recipe that calls for "whip" or instant pudding mix or fake tref or soup mix.
But yes, occasionally there'll be a recipe for real food, not glaringly unhealthy, that requires no specialized equipment (I'm looking at you, veggie spiralizer) and uses readily-available ingredients that I don't have to travel to a foreign country or high-end specialty "food boutique" to find (I'm looking at you, Thai fish sauce, real or fake) that I will try, and occasionally even add to my repertoire if it's successful.

Exactly!!!

lucky14

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:22 pm
I hardly ever make recipes from the frum magazines but I occasionally (around a few times a month) make recipes from "other" magazines. One of the groceries around here puts out a "magazine" each season with recipes and I get some good ones from there actually.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:25 pm
zaq wrote:
None of the choices matched my hashkafa, so I didn't vote. And why do you limit yourself to frum women's 'zines? Secular 'zines are also loaded with recipes. As is the Internet.
I'm an inveterate recipe clipper.
If I actually try 10% of the recipes I clip, that a lot.
Of the recipes I try, if I use 50% of them more than once, that's a lot.
I'm not interested in the fancy-pants potchkerai let's-impress-the-sisterhood stuff they show. And don't get me started on food "stacks." I'm serving food, not creating an installation for the Museum of Modern Art or preparing specimens for microscopy.
I also don't go for fake food, so I won't look at a recipe that calls for "whip" or instant pudding mix or fake tref or soup mix.
But yes, occasionally there'll be a recipe for real food, not glaringly unhealthy, that requires no specialized equipment (I'm looking at you, veggie spiralizer) and uses readily-available ingredients that I don't have to travel to a foreign country or high-end specialty "food boutique" to find (I'm looking at you, Thai fish sauce, real or fake) that I will try, and occasionally even add to my repertoire if it's successful.

I actually only like recipes from the frum magazines. The secular recipes tend to either use nonkosher ingredients or have strange flavors that I'm not used to. I don't like playing around with recipes. I like to know that whatever I make will come out good. Frum magazines, however, are geared for the heimishe cook with flavors that we're used to. Fleishigs Magazine is more on par with the secular magazines, so I didn't find their recipes very useful- kosher ingredients, yes, of course, but too many steps and strange ingredients. Very professional, but not for me.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:34 pm
I almost never get the frum glossies for hashkafic reasons, but this last Shabbos I was confined to my bedroom, so my daughter brought me the latest Mishpacha and Ami.

"Look!" DH said, as I unwrapped all the sections. "There's a whole cooking section with recipes. Maybe you'll see something you want to make!"

I said, "That would be great. Why don't you look through and find what you'd like me to try."

He returned a few minutes later.

"There's nothing here that even looks that good," he complained. "I guess just make the usual stuff I like."

iammom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 11:38 pm
Cherry Blossom wrote:
Um when was the last time this happened?

It doesn’t happen that frequently but enough that I’m wary about it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:26 pm
constantly!

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:36 pm
I didn't see an option for - "are you crazy? I try every single recipe in every single magazine."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics