Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
PJOurWay books review thread
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:22 pm
Hi
PJ library is a mixed bag. Sometimes you get great books and sometimes they go straight in the garbage... and sometimes they get censored or given to someone who is less frum and may benefit from spiritual inspiration even if it doesn't meet our home's standards. We had this for a few years when my kids were little and then got bumped off or something.

Now my kids are older and eligible for PJ Our Way, which is like a middle school version, and in this case you get to choose your book. I signed up on recommendation of an acquaintance who said sometimes the books are good. Maybe we pool our knowledge to figure out each month which books are suitable for frum readers? And if none of them are then we will just not choose a book and save the environment. I felt bad about all the waste when we got PJ Library books and threw them away.

This month's choices are:
The Life and Opinions of Amy Finawitz
Rabbi Harvey vs. The Wisdom Kid
The Princess Dolls
The Magical Imperfect

Anyone know any of these?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:37 pm
I have two kids on the program. I selected the last two.
I usually check the publisher. I usually nix any books by Kar Ben automatically. And then I check them up on Amazon before making my selection. After all that, if we still don't like them, they get dumped.

Two great books we got over the years were Black Radishes and The Bicycle Spy.

Black Radishes https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....3c439
The Bicycle Spy https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b9b92

We got this about the creators of Curious George:
The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....2780e
We got two books about the Doll Shop that were cute:
The Doll Shop Downstairs https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....fa9ce

We even once got a book from Judaica Press:
The Spanish Plot https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....734fe
And from Menucha Publishers: The Adventures of Jelly Eli Z. by David A. Adler.

There's more.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, Sep 03 2021, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

mpk

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:55 pm
My boys like the Rabbi Harvey books. They are graphic novels.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:54 pm
I chose the Doll book for my daughter and the Rabbi Harvey book for my son.

Although the other 2 options are longer and higher level reading, I would normally have chosen them, but I wasn't comfortable with the storyline of either one.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:13 pm
Just received this book:
The Princess Dolls
The Princess Dolls https://www.amazon.com/dp/1926.....5EG06
Great historical fiction book and fun to read.

happy chick

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:44 pm
I've tried to sign up for it, but it keeps telling me that some of the info I entered is not correct. I can't figure it out. I have a few kids enrolled in pj, but the PJ our wayisnt working.

Anyone else encounter such an issue?

Optione

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:50 pm
happy chick wrote:
I've tried to sign up for it, but it keeps telling me that some of the info I entered is not correct. I can't figure it out. I have a few kids enrolled in pj, but the PJ our wayisnt working.

Anyone else encounter such an issue?

Is it possible that you're getting stuck by the verification part? Like if someone writes Dini but her legal name is Dina, then the system won't verify it. (Unless she writes Dina...)

happy chick

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 6:00 pm
Optione wrote:
Is it possible that you're getting stuck by the verification part? Like if someone writes Dini but her legal name is Dina, then the system won't verify it. (Unless she writes Dina...)

I did it a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly. But I remember trying my legal first name, along w a bunch of other diff things. Maybe I'll try again.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 6:07 pm
No

kenz

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
No

Why would you respond with this? Lol.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:23 pm
happy chick wrote:
I did it a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly. But I remember trying my legal first name, along w a bunch of other diff things. Maybe I'll try again.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

You can email them, they’re usually quick to respond, and helpful.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:40 pm
Princess Dolls just came in the mail, I'm going to read it before giving it to my kids.
I just saw that a frum author posted on social media that one of her books got accepted for PJ Our Way. Really excited to see that come up as a choice!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:09 pm
seeker wrote:
Princess Dolls just came in the mail, I'm going to read it before giving it to my kids.
I just saw that a frum author posted on social media that one of her books got accepted for PJ Our Way. Really excited to see that come up as a choice!

Which book/ author?
I would love to know to look out for it

boysrock

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:48 pm
How do you choose your books? Ours just come in the mail

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Rebecca Klempner.

boysrock, how old are your kids? The books for younger kids they choose, then there's a separate program for older kids (maybe 4-5th grade? not sure) where you choose. I mean, where the kid is supposed to choose, but I'm not letting my kids even know there are choices because this company can be confusing - lots of things that look Jewish but have messaging that I'm not comfortable with. And other things that are just fine. So I do my own vetting.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:56 pm
My kids have been getting PJ library for years- most of them go straight into the garbage. How do I sign up for this program?

boysrock

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:57 pm
I have a 4 th grade and 6th grade child and books just come🤷‍♀️What am I doing wrong?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:06 am
cnc wrote:
My kids have been getting PJ library for years- most of them go straight into the garbage. How do I sign up for this program?

PJ invites you when your child ages out of the regular PJ Library. This program is called PJ Our Way.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:10 am
ALWAYS read the books before you let your child have them!

Most are parve and OK, but some of them are definitely problematic. Remember that they are meant mostly for Reform and Conservative families.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 8:06 am
Read about half of Princess Dolls. So far I'm finding it sweet and innocent. Sweet pictures, too. I'm not seeing any sneaky theological or philosophical messaging at all.
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics