Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Mini-van or van?

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:10 am
We've been in the market for a 2nd vehicle and yea we know right now the market stinks. We currently have an old 7-passenger minivan that was purchased right before Covid when we needed something ASAP. We need another vehicle for carpool and traveling. Ka"H we are expecting our 6th in a few months and we'll need something just to accommodate our family, but we're stuck on whether to get an 8-passenger minivan or a 12 passenger van at this point. I know that in the 8-passenger minivan market Odysseys and Siennas are pretty durable but I don't know anything about the 12-passenger vans in terms of how they last--though most I see are pretty durable, I just can't seem to find one for sale new or used.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 1:44 pm
How is parking where you live? That's a huge factor.
We have one 8 passenger Sienna and one 12 person Nissan NV (bah no issues, had it 6 years so far). I much prefer to take my minivan shopping for the trunk space and ease of parking.
No carpools though...

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 1:48 pm
U planning to have more kids?

If so, go with the 12 seater as you will need it in a couple years.

And maybe see if you can trade in your 7 seater for an 8 seater minivan

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 2:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How is parking where you live? That's a huge factor.
We have one 8 passenger Sienna and one 12 person Nissan NV (bah no issues, had it 6 years so far). I much prefer to take my minivan shopping for the trunk space and ease of parking.
No carpools though...

We have driveways and parking lots.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 2:35 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
U planning to have more kids?

If so, go with the 12 seater as you will need it in a couple years.

And maybe see if you can trade in your 7 seater for an 8 seater minivan

It's not out of the question, but it's just been hard to find 12-passenger vans and our 7-seater is going to the junkyard after us, it has well over 200K miles.

wtvr

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:02 pm
Vans are made with commercial engines and meant to last.

I drive a Transit 12p. The trunk is huge, and it's a very comfortable ride for the kids in the back.
If you plan on carpooling or ever taking another child with you, an 8p will be limiting.

momo6

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:17 pm
wtvr wrote:
Vans are made with commercial engines and meant to last.

I drive a Transit 12p. The trunk is huge, and it's a very comfortable ride for the kids in the back.
If you plan on carpooling or ever taking another child with you, an 8p will be limiting.

I drive and like my transit 12 p. I agree with all of this. I will say 2 cons that weren’t mentioned yet- there are no bells and whistles. No sliding doors, very few cup holders, etc. Also, it is very expensive to own. I find everything costs double what it does in the minivan we own- a tank of gas, maintenance, repairs, etc.

That said I really like it. Although with 6 kids an 8 seater fit us it really did not fit all of our stuff. And not needing to sit next to your annoying sibling really is priceless!

Emunah13

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:29 pm
If parking is a concern, the Ram Promaster short version is same length as minivan has option of 3 seats in front so you can have a 3 3 4 total 10 seat config, & a huge trunk . Lowest step up, e-z for kids since it is front wheel drive.

The new transit is slightly longer but spacious & good fuel economy , a real workhorse.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:49 pm
miami85 wrote:
We have driveways and parking lots.

I also have parking lots 😉
I mean are they tight spaces, do you easily find spots, etc

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:52 pm
momo6 wrote:
I drive and like my transit 12 p. I agree with all of this. I will say 2 cons that weren’t mentioned yet- there are no bells and whistles. No sliding doors, very few cup holders, etc. Also, it is very expensive to own. I find everything costs double what it does in the minivan we own- a tank of gas, maintenance, repairs, etc.

That said I really like it. Although with 6 kids an 8 seater fit us it really did not fit all of our stuff. And not needing to sit next to your annoying sibling really is priceless!

Some Transits have a sliding door (one sided). So does the Nissan NV.
I think we have 2 cup holders per row. I now try to get car seats with cup holders for extra.
BAH never had repairs on my 2014 Nissan to compare. Gas mileage not as great as a minivan but not horrible.

momo6

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Some Transits have a sliding door (one sided). So does the Nissan NV.
I think we have 2 cup holders per row. I now try to get car seats with cup holders for extra.
BAH never had repairs on my 2014 Nissan to compare. Gas mileage not as great as a minivan but not horrible.

Yeah. I meant electric sliding doors. Things like that, sliding doors on both sides, electric trunk opening, etc. There may be big vans with those features but mine don’t have them and they are nice especially when I had lots of little kids.

My transit gets ok gas mileage on the highway, but on the city streets it does not. My gas bill is nearly exactly double what it was when I drove a mini van regularly.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:34 pm
No big vans don't have that, the doors are too heavy.
My sienna's electric sliding door has been broken for probably 10 years...I prefer non electric!
Trunks in big vans don't pop open, they open as doors that swing out.

steak4me

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 6:20 pm
The real question is how often you go out with your whole family at a time.

If it’s not often, then most families get a minivan and a car Bec it’s very costly to drive a van- gas is a lot and it’s not the most comfortable convenient car as well.

The only passenger vans worth buying are the transits. The Promasters are terrible quality with no durability at all and the Chevys aren’t great either. The Nissans are also really bad quality.
The Ford lasts and has great resell value as well. Just best of luck finding one now. It’s a rarity and very expensive

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 10:24 pm
Out of curiosity, why do you think the Nissans are poor quality? As I said, my 2014 bah has had no issues at all.
I know several Transit owners who have had to make numerous repairs.
We also could get great resale value based on what we've seen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains