Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cleaning leeks. Help!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:04 pm
How do you clean leeks for the simanim?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:18 am
This is what the star-k website says. My husband checks produce for a living, and he said leeks are really hard to check. You have to slice them open and check everywhere. I bought prechecked ones. Hope you have that option!

LEEKS
VISUAL CHECK

Do an internal and external inspection for any signs of infestation.
Check inside tube and between leaves, as well as, the outside for leaf-miner trails.

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:50 am
I fill a large bowl with warm soapy water. I cut off the ends on each side. I slice the leek lengthwise and separate all the pieces and put into the bowl. Let it soak a few minutes. I have a special designated vegetable scrubby brush for next step. Usually there is a ton of dirt inside the leek. I scrub (and check at same time) each piece of leek. It takes time.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:02 am
octopus wrote:
I fill a large bowl with warm soapy water. I cut off the ends on each side. I slice the leek lengthwise and separate all the pieces and put into the bowl. Let it soak a few minutes. I have a special designated vegetable scrubby brush for next step. Usually there is a ton of dirt inside the leek. I scrub (and check at same time) each piece of leek. It takes time.

I do the same.

I throw out the really dirty pieces when starting. (More out of laziness)

dena613

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 10:30 am
For those who want to do the leek woman but have NOT YET purchased leeks:I

As per Artscroll machzor, the siman of leeks is also that of cabbage.

This year (bli neder!) I'm going to just buy a bag of kosher cabbage!! Much much easier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen