Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Fun or unusual Torah book for yeshiva bochur

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:37 am
A relative wants to gift my son a Torah book.
The relative is into more eclectic, kind of funky or intellectual type stuff. My son is a pretty run of the mill Mesivta bochur, he'd be happy with a sefer, and right now has his sights set on a Yad Hachazaka.

Relative wants to spend in the $50 range. Any ideas of something that will make them both happy?
My son has outside interests (eg woodworking, drawing), but I'm not coming up with a way to satisfy the gifter's need to be not run of the mill, and my son's need to have something that is standard and not out there or controversial.
"Woodworking Ideas from the Torah" published by Artscroll would be perfect, if it existed LOL .

Any good ideas?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:33 am
There is a frum author that has a how to drawing book. I think it's the author of "Yiddishe kup"

Is there a book on making models from the beis hamikdash?

I recently saw paint by number of jewish scenes. Was about $40. Would that interest your son?

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:40 am
If he likes current events the headlines books are great

naomi2

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:52 am
There are gorgeous books about the mishkan and one about the beis hamildash and the keilim and how it was built, what materials etc. So there's the woodworking:)
They are large, like coffee table books with gorgeous pictures.
Alternatively there are coffee table books about Jewish history as well that might be interesting.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 6:45 am
Thanks for your replies.
Your suggestions for the drawing book and the Mishkan were great... so great that we actually has them already Smile

The Headlines series looks fascinating... I think this might be a go!
Thank you for your help!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 7:33 am
The Headline series is really well done. Just a heads up that some of the topics are s*xual in nature and may not be topics you want DS reading about at that age. There are a few volumes though so perhaps you can check the table of contents and make sure to choose one you're comfortable with.

esuss

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 9:24 am
There are so many beautiful biographies that my Mesifte boys like to read. They not only teach about the Gadol but also the history of his lifetime. My boys learn so much from them. They even bring the books to their dorms.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 9:28 am
esuss wrote:
There are so many beautiful biographies that my Mesifte boys like to read. They not only teach about the Gadol but also the history of his lifetime. My boys learn so much from them. They even bring the books to their dorms.

Yes. Here are some amazing ones:
Rav Gustman - David Page
Reaching the Heavens - Sivan Rahav Meir and her husband
The new biographies of Rav Grossman shlita and Rav Meir Schuster, zt"l
To Remain a Jew - Rav Yitzchak Zilber

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 9:40 pm
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
The Headline series is really well done. Just a heads up that some of the topics are s*xual in nature and may not be topics you want DS reading about at that age. There are a few volumes though so perhaps you can check the table of contents and make sure to choose one you're comfortable with.

Ooh thank you for pointing that out.
I guess I will need to look them over first.

amother
Seablue

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 9:43 pm
The Coming Revolution by Zamir Cohen?
It's about science discoveries that were already known I'm the Torah and stuff like that

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 10:31 pm
Ldor vdor by wachsman. Its a very interesting book with the timelines of Jewish history and world history. Comes in Hebrew and English versions.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:37 am
Visual Introduction to Gemara is really interesting. Goes through the Mesorah from Maran Torah through current day achronim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children