Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to find setts provider nyc if approved for enhanced rate
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:51 am
I live in nyc. I spoke with the agency that is contracted with the setts provider at my child's school.

They will file for a hearing etc for an enhanced rate but are not being upfront with me etc
THis is all new for me, so I was doing a lot of research.
I am thinking of filing for a hearing myself or getting a free lawyer.
I found an organization online, but I cant call them until Thurs.
I am a very good advocate myself.

But, if I do get approved for an enhanced rate, how would I find a provider?
Are there agencies to call to send a setts provider to my child's school?
I know agencies want to make $, so the more kids, the more $.
Also, many setts providers cant get full caseloads, so maybe there will be openings later in the year as the hearing takes time to get resolved.

pls dont tell me to file through an agency unless you have an honest agency that will first file and then, when approved, send a setts provider to the school.

tia

cnc

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:34 am
Do not try to do this on your own you will definitely botch up- regardless of how great of an advocate you are.

Where would you find a free lawyer? You need one that specializes in special education law.

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:57 am
Is there a coordinator hired by the school that is in charge of special services? Schools don't always allow in just any agency, you really need to talk to school. Also, you need to be careful with advocates, they can botch things up. And it's expensive to hire a lawyer.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:09 am
My son had this through an agency. When they scheduled the court hearing the agency wanted me to lie about some things- it was then that I realized how much deception they use. I went to the first court case and completely broke down from it and couldn’t go back for more.

My son ultimately lost his support

I couldn’t forgive the agency though for putting me into that situation and not being upfront with me from the beginning

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:20 am
I wasnt aware you can do on your own. Agencies can help you get enhanced and then finding a provider should be easier. But the school.doesnt have any?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:33 am
First find out if school will allow you to bring in your own setts provider. Many schools are contracting with agencies and not letting private providers work there.

Do not go through an agency. They have a harder time finding providers. The lawyers and advocates charge 1600-2000 as a normal range To fight for enhanced Setts. Anything above is overpriced. You can then get your own provider. The setts provider will get paid consideraby less (at least $40-70 per hour) when going through an agency. The agency gives extra paperwork then what is mandated by the city and does nothing for the provider, other than taking a nice cut to do nothing!

Just a note: from when you file for enchanted date u til approved takes time. The city will give an initial hearing and there’s 3 options: hearing, settlement And I forgot the third. You need to speak to a lawyer for the details of each. Until the rate is decided and approved takes months. Provider waits months to get paid from the city. They are not a year behind. Many cases from last year haven’t been heard yet.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:37 am
My daughter gets enhanced rate Setss. She only got approved mid year and the school told me to go straight to the enhanced rate agency or I will never find a provider. The school uses special edge as an agency. I contacted them and they gave me a list of regular providers to call and document their response. Of course either they were full, too far away or I couldn’t get through. I then emailed the board of Ed that I am having trouble and of course they didn’t respond. The agency then picked up my case. They told me the case may go to a hearing and they will help me but Bh that never happened,

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My son had this through an agency. When they scheduled the court hearing the agency wanted me to lie about some things- it was then that I realized how much deception they use. I went to the first court case and completely broke down from it and couldn’t go back for more.

My son ultimately lost his support

I couldn’t forgive the agency though for putting me into that situation and not being upfront with me from the beginning

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The agency is already telling me to lie but not only that. The agency lied to me about a few things because I asked some questions. They answered my questions and contradicted themselves later, so I dont trust their process.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
My daughter gets enhanced rate Setss. She only got approved mid year and the school told me to go straight to the enhanced rate agency or I will never find a provider. The school uses special edge as an agency. I contacted them and they gave me a list of regular providers to call and document their response. Of course either they were full, too far away or I couldn’t get through. I then emailed the board of Ed that I am having trouble and of course they didn’t respond. The agency then picked up my case. They told me the case may go to a hearing and they will help me but Bh that never happened,

I am sorry, but I dont understand. Can you please clarify?

I have the same exact situation except the case probably will go to a hearing. I called 13 inde providers. They are not available. Now, the agency wants me to sign things but..

Are you saying you signed everything the agency told you to sign to file a hearing, but you got approved with no hearing??

I know its possible to get approved with no hearing and instead do some called mediation.

1)Did you read all the papers they asked you to sign or did you just sign everything?

2)And, how long did it take for the agency to get paid?

3) you wrote that she got approved mid year. But, did she start services BEFORE she got approved?

(The agency is telling me to start now BEFORE my child is approved which is a gamble I cant afford to take.

This is why I wrote this thread. If I contact this agency AFTER I get approval, I wonder if they will work with me.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:17 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
First find out if school will allow you to bring in your own setts provider. Many schools are contracting with agencies and not letting private providers work there.

Do not go through an agency. They have a harder time finding providers. The lawyers and advocates charge 1600-2000 as a normal range To fight for enhanced Setts. Anything above is overpriced. You can then get your own provider. The setts provider will get paid consideraby less (at least $40-70 per hour) when going through an agency. The agency gives extra paperwork then what is mandated by the city and does nothing for the provider, other than taking a nice cut to do nothing!

Just a note: from when you file for enchanted date u til approved takes time. The city will give an initial hearing and there’s 3 options: hearing, settlement And I forgot the third. You need to speak to a lawyer for the details of each. Until the rate is decided and approved takes months. Provider waits months to get paid from the city. They are not a year behind. Many cases from last year haven’t been heard yet.

Okay. You are correct. The school is very picky about who can work which I dont understand why. However, If the agency they contract with, doesnt have providers, then I will try to petition to the school to allow someone IF I get approved and IF I can find someone.

I think I can get approved enhanced rate. My problem is I'm trying to see how to find a provider after I get approved. Right now the agency contracted with the school wants my child to start now, take a gamble, and get approved later. I cant do this. I want to get approved first and then call up the provider at the school and see if she has room mid year for another enhanced rate(which would be my child).

You wrote that the provider can service my child enhanced rate (if approved) without a cut from the agency. But, I dont know if the provider at the school does know bec maybe she doesn't how to bill or...???

Therefore, I'm wondering where would I find a "list" of inde providers who take an enhanced rate but are not working through an agency?

Or, if I cant do that, do you think an agency would work with me mid year to try to find someone? They gain bec they make more $.

If the school doesn't let me bring someone in, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:31 am
I dont know any providers who do enhanced rate privately. I was under impression it only can be done thru agency.
As someone mentioned above, I work through special edge, as well.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:51 am
An agency asked me to do this for my kids I said flat-out no there is no way I will lie and I don't understand why these setts providers are not happy with the rate that they are getting it is a pretty decent rate for a good job. This is why it is so hard to find providers the agencies fight for higher rates and they don't want to work with us people that don't want to lie it is a very frustrating process. I would like to know where all the rabbis are and and why the schools are allowing the agencies to lie. It is a very bad message to send to our children.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:57 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I dont know any providers who do enhanced rate privately. I was under impression it only can be done thru agency.
As someone mentioned above, I work through special edge, as well.

So I'm assuming you just get cases from the agency who lays out the $ to pay you?

And, I'm assuming the agency does the "behind the scenes" dealing with getting parents' signatures, applying for the enhanced rate, and getting approved?

If I were to call this agency mid year, after getting approved, do you think they might have providers who dont have full case loads who might be available?(of course, nobody can guarantee )

Thanks for responding.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:13 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
An agency asked me to do this for my kids I said flat-out no there is no way I will lie and I don't understand why these setts providers are not happy with the rate that they are getting it is a pretty decent rate for a good job. This is why it is so hard to find providers the agencies fight for higher rates and they don't want to work with us people that don't want to lie it is a very frustrating process. I would like to know where all the rabbis are and and why the schools are allowing the agencies to lie. It is a very bad message to send to our children.

I was upset because the agency gave me someone in the beginning of the year but they lied to me about how it works and I thought it was “straight” so I took her

Only later by the court case did I find out how crooked it was

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:50 am
And this is a major problem. When agencies promise things or have you lie to state or city agencies to get services for your kids.
I see so many agencies doing this and it is Chiul Hashem and will be more so if this gets out into the newspaper.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:

42$ an hour when u have a masters is not decent sorry. Especially bec it’s fee for service

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 8:04 am
Bump

MrsLeo

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 2:27 pm
I work for a law firm that does exactly this. We work with the agencies and parents to make sure their child gets the services they need and that the DOE pays for it. We know there can be some shady stuff going on at the agencies and therefore we work hard to make sure the parent understands exactly what is being asked and what to expect.
Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 2:54 pm
Why are people saying it's shady? My understanding is that if an eligible student doesn't have a provider then the parent can try to get enhanced calling 10 or so providers and if all aren't available, the case can be enhanced in order to incentivize providers to take the case.

What's more is that the rules seem to be set up that even a provider that has been servicing a case for several years still has the right to an enhanced rate. They can tell the parent they no longer want to service the case because the pay is too little. At that point the parent can go thru the process of calling 10 other potential providers and if none are available, the existing provider can get enhanced rate.

What's shady about this? Wo's lying? Why are people saying it's a scam? These are the rules and the rules lend themselves to every provider demanding enhanced. But it all seems within the rules. Am I missing something?

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 3:01 pm
Is it the same person bumping up all posts related to special Ed services. What’s the point?????
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics