Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Doona article in Ami magazine
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:40 pm
I think it was in last weeks magazine, but did not get around to read it till this week.
This was my reaction- people grow up, just grow up and get a Graco or maxi cosi or whatever infant car seat.

Am I the only one horrified at what this world of luxury has come to that not having a doona to bring your baby home from the hospital seems traumatic???

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:42 pm
I didn't read the article. I'm with you as far as Graco etc. I will say that I've seen Doonas and they look awesome.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:43 pm
I didn't see the article, but I heard about it. Those who told me said that they assumed it was satire, and kept waiting for a punchline... until they got to the end and it was still serious

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:43 pm
I agree, it was a bit over the top.
However I sort of thought the author was trying for a humorous tone? Like tongue in cheek? If so, not quite as egregious (though it obviously fell a bit flat if that bit needs to be figured out, lol).

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:47 pm
LOL!
LOL!
I am so removed from this world that I never even HEARD of a Doona.

I don't care about those things and I feel degraded whenever women are
portrayed as dumb and shallow...

Who really has time or care to 'Keep up with the Cohen's?
I never relate to those articles.

In this week's Ami there are 3 heart rending articles that really spoke to me,
but I won't talk about them;
I don't want to hijack your thread.
The Doona idiocy was too much.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:48 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I didn't read the article. I'm with you as far as Graco etc. I will say that I've seen Doonas and they look awesome.

They do look awesome and they should totally come in a toddler version! Then we’re talking simplify life!

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:50 pm
Quote:
Holly

I didn't see the article, but I heard about it. Those who told me said that they assumed it was satire, and kept waiting for a punchline... until they got to the end and it was still serious

amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I agree, it was a bit over the top.
However I sort of thought the author was trying for a humorous tone? Like tongue in cheek? If so, not quite as egregious (though it obviously fell a bit flat if that bit needs to be figured out, lol).

Idk, I wonder if that was so? It didn’t come across as that... (now if Dina Neuman would’ve written the article, then we can talk Wink )

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
LOL!
LOL!
I am so removed from this world that I never even HEARD of a Doona.

I don't care about those things and I feel degraded whenever women are
portrayed as dumb and shallow...

Who really has time or care to 'Keep up with the Cohen's?
I never relate to those articles.

In this week's Ami there are 3 heart rending articles that really spoke to me,
but I won't talk about them;
I don't want to hijack your thread.
The Doona idiocy was too much.

Feel free to discuss here or start a s/o.
I haven’t read this weeks ami yet- so no comments (unless you email me the article Wink )

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:55 pm
Chill. It wasn’t about being traumatized because it’s not available.

It was about not being available.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:59 pm
What's a Doona? I don't get the Ami and I'm too lazy to Google it. And my youngest kid is 10.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:00 pm
That article was horrible in my opinion. It created this sense of desperation for a luxury and completely normalized the expectation of having/needing one....

Yeah, it's a great invention that makes life a little easier. But a need?... I mean... this is $500-600 we are talking about.... for use for a few months. 🙄

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:32 pm
I didn't read the article but it's for a few months and only a few years/babies.
Contrast with my snap n go I've used for 9 kids. It was about $50. I think 3 car seats in those 16 years. So about $300...

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
That article was horrible in my opinion. It created this sense of desperation for a luxury and completely normalized the expectation of having/needing one....

Yeah, it's a great invention that makes life a little easier. But a need?... I mean... this is $500-600 we are talking about.... for use for a few months. 🙄

A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
It saved my back and it’s the BEST thing since sliced bread.
My babies use it until a year old and a year is a long time especially a year that is post birth.
Signed,
A mom who is still wearing last year style clothes and shaitels and (gasp!) pearl earrings.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:51 pm
I thought the article was pathetic. People calling stores crying that they can't have their babies because there are no doonas?! Get a life. much of humanity is having babies and not buying a doona. No one died from it. The article made it sound like it's a birthright and must have, all while being 5 times the price of a regular carseat. And then people wonder why standards in our community are where they are. I was very unimpressed.

Last edited by bsy on Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:53 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
My babies use it until a year old and a year is a long time especially a year that is post birth.
Signed,
A mom who is still wearing last year style clothes and shaitels and (gasp!) pearl earrings.

you finding it useful does not make it a necessity and not a luxury. No one is saying it doesnt have its uses and pros. But to present it as a must have, when it is not, is pathetic. In general, I'm finding certain groups/influencers/blogs sort of overstepping their boundaries and its off putting.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:54 pm
bsy wrote:
I thought the article was pathetic. People calling stores crying that they can't have hair babies because there are no doonas?! Get a life. much of humanity is having babies and not buying a doona. No one died from it. The article made it sound like it's a birthright and must have, all while being 5 times the price of a regular carseat. And then people wonder why standards in our community are where they are. I was very unimpressed.

Really? A regular car seat costs 100? Not where I live.

I didn’t read the article but the world has bigger problems than young moms enjoying a practical car seat even if it’s overpriced.
Everyone should chill.

allthingsblue

A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
Signed,

How did it save your back? Mine breaks my back because it’s carriage + car seat every single time in and out of the car. With a car seat (a lightweight one like the nuna pipa would be a luxury for me!) it’s just the car seat and a baby, so less weight to carry.

bsy

Really? A regular car seat costs 100? Not where I live.

I didn’t read the article but the world has bigger problems than young moms enjoying a practical car seat even if it’s overpriced.
Everyone should chill.

Yes a basic infant carseat is about 100 dollars. Less on sale.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:56 pm
A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
Signed,

Can I ask how it saves your back if you still have to lift it in and out of the car and up any stairs into/out of your house?

I just switch kids to convertible carseat that stays in the car + umbrella stroller around 4 months (which is when my kids stop napping in the car)

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:57 pm
bsy wrote:
Yes a basic infant carseat is about 100 dollars. Less on sale.

That’s an amazing price
Maybe people should sell those here where I live and from the profit they earn they can buy doonas
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room