Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Doona article in Ami magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:58 pm
A Doona IS a luxury. So is my dishwasher, my washing machine, my iPhone, and my car. I know this for a fact, because I have managed without some or all of them for months or years.

Yes they are super convenient and I prioritize them over many other expenses. (Okay, I still don't have a Doona.)

They are not ostentatious or just for the brand name. But necessities they are not.

teachkids

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
That’s an amazing price
Maybe people should sell those here where I live and from the profit they earn they can buy doonas

Basic Graco from Walmart. Enjoy.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:00 pm
That’s an amazing price
Maybe people should sell those here where I live and from the profit they earn they can buy doonas

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eve.....98796
$60 from Walmart. Free shipping. Enjoy!

(ETA crossposted!)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:01 pm
I think the article was in very poor taste. It was supposed to be humorous. Being that I didn’t have a baby in 9 years, I didn’t think it was funny at all to cry about not having a doona. I would take my baby home in anything if I had one to bring home.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:05 pm
A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
It saved my back and it’s the BEST thing since sliced bread.
My babies use it until a year old and a year is a long time especially a year that is post birth.
Signed,
A mom who is still wearing last year style clothes and shaitels and (gasp!) pearl earrings.

Just want to mention that wearing "last year style clothes and shaitels and (gasp!) pearl earrings" doesn't portray you the way you intended it to.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:12 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Nurture-Infant-Car-Seat-Graham-Blue/282798796
$60 from Walmart. Free shipping. Enjoy!

(ETA crossposted!)

This is a car seat. ( no wheels or base) The doona changes into a carriage with one hand.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:13 pm
If you live in Brooklyn and don't have a car it makes sense.

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:15 pm
bsy wrote:
Yes a basic infant carseat is about 100 dollars. Less on sale.

Those aren’t the safest car seats. Sure, you can in a pinch. But the car seats that adjust in the front and don’t need to be rethreaded to change the harness height are not under $100. People who buy those cheap car seats often don’t have them secured properly. Spend $50 more for the convenience. Please and thank you. I don’t have a Doona and will never have one, but stop with the ‘in my day I walked uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow’ argument.

Last edited by OBnursemom on Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
This is a car seat. ( no wheels or base) The doona changes into a carriage with one hand.

A graco snap n go is less than 100. Add the 2 together and it's less than 200. Nowhere near 550 for a doona.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:16 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
Those aren’t the safest car seats. Sure, you can in a pinch. But the car seats that adjust in the front and don’t need to be rethreaded to change the harness height are not under $100. I don’t have a Doona and will never have one, but stop with the ‘in my day I walked uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow’ argument.

fyi, doona did not do that well in crash tests. A graco snap n go is just as safe.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:18 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
If you live in Brooklyn and don't have a car it makes sense.

If you don't have a car and walk everywhere you're better off with a stroller that's actually a stroller and has a basket.

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:18 pm
bsy wrote:
fyi, doona did not do that well in crash tests. A graco snap n go is just as safe.

Sure. But there are graco car seats that are the biggest pain in the neck to use, and then there are graco car seats you can use bnachas. As someone who helps people with their car seats and brand new babies all the time, those $50 Gracos are stupid and should not be on the market. No one uses them properly.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:20 pm
bsy wrote:
A graco snap n go is less than 100. Add the 2 together and it's less than 200. Nowhere near 550 for a doona.

I happen to not like the doona- I think it’s expensive and not useful beyond 6 months. I never had snap ngo either. Car seat stayed in car child went in stroller.
But the snap n go is still two pieces. The doona is one. Fold the wheels put into the car. For some that is important.
Especially if they use car service or switch cars. Makes life easier.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:21 pm
I did not read the entire thread. Just responding to the OP. The article was about an item
Being out of stock. I thought it was weird to write such an article cuz I felt like they have nothing to write about anymore. But why are we so quick to judge. Why is it that just cuz this item is new and up to date are ppl Shallow if they want it: why is the person that wants the graco cuz she likes it less shallow then the doona fan? Same with everything else. Those who like to keep to old stuff are always poking fun And judging those with new. A doona is a good useful very convenient invention. Why am I shallow for enjoying up and coming things? Stop
Judging and holding urself superior cuz these things don’t talk to you.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:23 pm
Now I’m curious to read the article. Anyone have a link?

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:24 pm
My first thought was Victoria has changed over the years.

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:24 pm
bsy wrote:

I said I’ve never had a doona and I will never have one. I have a lovely nuna car seat. It snaps into my stroller. Also expensive. Bought because the latch is rigid and almost foolproof. Almost foolproof 2 days postpartum is just what the doctor ordered. I haven’t regretted it for one second.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:25 pm
As someone who has the doona and read the article this was my take. My baby is 7 months old and I was not going to get the doona. I actually got it because it made sense price-wise for me. I got it on sale for $400 and every car seat plus snap and roll that I tried to buy was over 300. So I paid a little bit more for convenience. Personally I hated it in the beginning and found that extremely heavy and impractical since there's no basket. However, my baby had to have some medical procedures done and it was super helpful to have something that turns into a stroller easily. At this point, I am enjoying it except that I find it very heavy to take in and out of the car.
No you don't have to have one and it's not necessity however, if you're like me, and are in and out of the car all day long with your baby it actually makes life a lot easier.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I happen to not like the doona- I think it’s expensive and not useful beyond 6 months. I never had snap ngo either. Car seat stayed in car child went in stroller.
But the snap n go is still two pieces. The doona is one. Fold the wheels put into the car. For some that is important.

Very important!
Especially when I go to the car with another two toddlers multiple times a day.
I don’t understand- if you don’t like a doona then don’t buy one? What’s the problem if other people do like it?
I don’t understand why you guys get to decide what I should or should not buy.
For your info I think the drinks you just bought at the grocery are a massive waste of money, water is so much better. Also that snack bag please take outa your cart, I have a sugar free cookie recipe that is so so much cheaper, and healthier!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:28 pm
Very important!
Especially when I go to the car with another two toddlers.
I don’t understand- if you don’t like a doona then don’t buy one? What’s the problem if other people do like it?
I don’t understand why you guys get to decide what I should or should not buy.
For your info I think the drinks you just bought at the grocery are a massive waste of money, water is so much better. Also that snack bag please take outa your cart, I have a sugar free cookie recipe that is so so much cheaper, and healthier!
Thumbs Up
Well said mamma!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room