Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Don't want to eat

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:22 pm
HELP!!
Any ideas, my kids, ages 9 and down hardly eat the suppers I make them. They like pasta, but if I serve it 2 nights on 1 week, they say, you just served this. They like the food fine, just hardly eat. One night I got frustrated and said take what you want as long as it's food, not snack. They'd be happy with this every night, but I want them to have a balanced meal. If I didn't need to lose weight, I probably wouldn't care as much because then I'd eat their leftovers. Smile

mom7270

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:25 pm
yo'ma I totally feel for you. my kids are extremely picky eaters and I eat myself up over it. I try to make things I think they like and then they dont wanna touch it and when I make something for myself and dh that I think they will never touch they want my portion... my mother told me to put a plate in front of them and look away- if they eat it great and if they dont dont beat yourself up over it just make sure they know this is supper and thats all there is for you to eat till the morning... I cant say im very successful at the looking away part Wink

MahPitom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:26 pm
You need to bribe them and finally they will get used to it. Whenever I make something new I tell them, you might not like it, you might love it. but because I made it because I love you, you need to have one spoonful. You also must swallow it. Have your camera handy to capture those faces… Eventually, they will have a new variety of foods! That’s how broccoli & spinach became a food-to-battle-over in our house! Bribe them with a taffy after one spoon. Eventually they will love the food and won’t need the taffy.

red sea

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:30 pm
have the children plan the menus.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:31 pm
I do not like bribing my kids. Not to say I never do, but with food, no, except with dessert (if they want it, they have to eat a main dish). They're not that picky and will try new stuff.
mom7270, I did look away and when I looked back, there was still a whole plate of food.
They know, no food till the morning except for maybe a fruit.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:50 pm
yo'ma,

when you told them to feed themselves, what did they end up eating?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 9:08 pm
The 9 yr old made farina for her and the 5 yr old and the other 2 had a sandwich.
I've even asked them what they want. I have been told that they don't really start eating and eat a nice meal until the bigger ones are around 12 and then they eat and the little ones follow. But now it's frustrating. I do say though, that if I ate exactly what my daughter, the 9 year old, I'd really be thin.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 9:24 pm
I say try and not be frustrated about it and ull feel better Wink

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 10:41 pm
let him help u prepare supper
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics