Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Doona article in Ami magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:57 am
Are Doonas those ugly mini strollers? That’s what people are up in arms about??

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:03 am
It was literally a stupid article meant for the very specific Ami clientele. If this isn’t your boat, you have a right not ride in it.

I get the Ami anyway, because there isn’t much else out there.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:06 am
SuperWify wrote:
It was literally a stupid article meant for the very specific Ami clientele. If this isn’t your boat, you have a right not ride in it.

I get ami and mishpacha. I have no problem reading about supply chain issues and shortages of products I dont use. It's the tone and focus that was so off putting. I'm not sure how it passed any sort of editorial review.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:11 am
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
I read the article and was left confused. I had a baby at the end of April, and my local baby store told me I don't need to order one, just call once I have the baby because they always have doonas in stock. And they did. So when did this shortage occur?
I was also confused after I read the last paragraph about who the article was about, the author, or someone else.

June

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:13 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
It's not safe to not own a car seat. We're talking about Graco snap n go vs doona, both are unsafe when it comes to leaving your child in there for long periods of time. Everyone needs to also have a stroller, but stroller + car seat + snap n go takes up space in the tiny Brooklyn home. I always assume anytime I see a doona, that they just stepped out of a taxi.

Nope, I know many people who use it as their one and only stroller. I think it's terribly unsafe but not my child so not my say.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:16 am
Sunny Days wrote:
I think it was in last weeks magazine, but did not get around to read it till this week.
This was my reaction- people grow up, just grow up and get a Graco or maxi cosi or whatever infant car seat.

Am I the only one horrified at what this world of luxury has come to that not having a doona to bring your baby home from the hospital seems traumatic???

I didn’t read the replies I got the doona as a gift I was not [gentile] to buy it. It’s heavy my baby hates it my other baby’s were much happier in a regular car seat and snap and go it’s a total fade and I think it’s nuts!! Oh btw my pediatrician says they are seeing a lot of posture issues with babies from the doona. Also it’s not a stroller and people use it as that. I saw the article but don’t get to read it yet

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:21 am
bsy wrote:
I get ami and mishpacha. I have no problem reading about supply chain issues and shortages of products I dont use. It's the tone and focus that was so off putting. I'm not sure how it passed any sort of editorial review.

It was a cover story for god sake‘s. Ridiculous.
And this is coming from someone who has a doona and bugaboo. It’s not my type bu I wasn’t going to let that stop me from getting them and I think they’re amazing. The article looked like satire on JAP culture.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:23 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It was a cover story for god sake‘s. Ridiculous.
And this is coming from someone who has a doona and bugaboo. It’s not my type bu I wasn’t going to let that stop me from getting them and I think they’re amazing. The article looked like satire on JAP culture.
that's the issue. It read like satire but was meant seriously.

hardworking mom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:28 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
It's not safe to not own a car seat. We're talking about Graco snap n go vs doona, both are unsafe when it comes to leaving your child in there for long periods of time. Everyone needs to also have a stroller, but stroller + car seat + snap n go takes up space in the tiny Brooklyn home. I always assume anytime I see a doona, that they just stepped out of a taxi.

I had a doona and a regular carriage

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:31 am
SuperWify wrote:

I don't think you meant it that way, but this is very insulting towards their readership. At the very least, quite patronizing. I won't explain why but I think its pretty obvious.

Actually, I get the Ami as well as the Mishpacha and Binah magazine. I know people who come from quite a variety of backgrounds that read all, or some, of the magazines. I certainly think the magazines try to appeal to different types. If they only had a very narrow readership they'd never make it.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I didn't read the article but it's for a few months and only a few years/babies.
Contrast with my snap n go I've used for 9 kids. It was about $50. I think 3 car seats in those 16 years. So about $300...

When I had my last child 22 years ago the Snap n Go was the latest greatest thing. But I could not afford it. I felt very sorry for myself. This article brought back the deprived feeling I had at the time.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
When I had my last child 22 years ago the Snap n Go was the latest greatest thing. But I could not afford it. I felt very sorry for myself. This article brought back the deprived feeling I had at the time.

My youngest is almost 32 and I never had a status symbol stroller. The wealthy people had a Silver Cross that was a cushy ride for the baby but didn't fold up for the car. I still have an old umbrella stroller that my grandchildren puts a stuffed animal in.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I don't think you meant it that way, but this is very insulting towards their readership. At the very least, quite patronizing. I won't explain why but I think its pretty obvious.

Actually, I get the Ami as well as the Mishpacha and Binah magazine. I know people who come from quite a variety of backgrounds that read all, or some, of the magazines. I certainly think the magazines try to appeal to different types. If they only had a very narrow readership they'd never make it.

Kind of off topic but people can't totally believe any news that they read regardless of where they read it. We read somewhere about furniture and appliance shortages and we just moved and it isn't true everywhere. Some news outlets just had to retract a statement by a doctor that there were so many ivermectin overdoses that the ER was turning away patients with GSW. Turned out to be a total lie. Same with Jewish magazines. Verify the truth before you believe anything.

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
A DOONA IS NOT A LUXURY.
It saved my back and it’s the BEST thing since sliced bread.
My babies use it until a year old and a year is a long time especially a year that is post birth.
Signed,
A mom who is still wearing last year style clothes and shaitels and (gasp!) pearl earrings.

Makes no sense. It weighs a ton. Unless you’re a bodybuilder no way this saved your back lol.

Now have you seen the Maxi Cosi Coral? That’s a back saver.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 11:04 am
OBnursemom wrote:
Let’s just say that they’re deterrents from using the seat properly. And you could just think that I’m not nice, or you could believe me when I say I have helped a lot of new parents use car seats that are difficult to figure out. Or you don’t have to. I think you see my screen name and jump down my throat for the fun of it. Ease of use features are in place to make car seats easier to use safely. And sure maybe you rethread the whole car seat when the straps are too loose or tight. But plenty of other Americans do not, and car seats end up being used in ways that are appalling in terms of child safety.

All I’m saying is that it has nothing to do woth the cost of the seat. I’ve had expensive ones, and I’ve had less expensive ones. I’ve had complicated, expensive ones, and easy inexpensive ones, and the opposite as well. The safety and ease of installation have nothing to do with the cost, and it’s not fair to imply otherwise.
I am not jumping down anyone’s throat, and honestly, I don’t look at screen names.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room