Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Can someone help with Cricut joy

moramom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:58 am
my daughter got a cricut joy and has some basic questions
Can it be used with any program aside for design space?
Anyone available to answer a few questions pleeaase?

Siriusly?

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:09 pm
Happy to answer any questions!

To make a project all Cricut machines require you to use Design Space, however if your daughter is more familiar with another program like Photoshop or illustrator, she can design her project there and then import it into Design Space to make it. There will be some things she will have to do in DS though, like attaching elements that are to be cut from the same piece of material, or text that is to be written onto a specific layer.

moramom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:01 pm
Thank you so much for the prompt and helpful response!
I should have looked into this point before purchasing it because it seems like the design space app doesn’t have much to choose from in fonts and clipart..Without paying a monthly premium
Is their a way to by pass this and import images from elsewhere ?
Any tips on How would she Can access hebrew fonts?

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:34 am
There are several websites where you can download free or very cheap svg files and fonts.

For free fonts, I love dafont.com.

designbundles.net and fontbundles.net often have great $1 deals, and some free options. I can't remember all the free svg sites offhand, but just google "free svg downloads".

https://alefalefalef.co.il/en/.....7%9D/
- this website has some free hebrew fonts

You mention using the app - is this on a pc or mobile device? I'd recommend using it on a computer, especially to start off with, it's easier to get used to that way. Also, it's easier to install new fonts on your computer rather than on the phone.

Once your fonts are downloaded, you need to extract the zip file, double click on the font file and press install. Then, you should see it in Design Space. For images, you'll need to press upload in DS and choose the svg file to import it.

Side point, please don't waste money on Cricut brand materials! 143vinyl.com has fantastic prices (a 5ft roll of permanent vinyl is $2.85), plus they have offers all the time. Starcraft HD and SD (permanent and removable) vinyl is a fantastic company, and either Starcraft SoftFlex or Siser Easyweed for iron-on vinyl (HTV).

For great beginner-friendly tutorials, check out Mr Crafty Pants on YouTube

https://betweencarpools.com/ev.....icut/ See this post on BCP for some more info, or keep asking here. Happy to help!

Last edited by Siriusly? on Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:37 am
Just to clarify what I mean by svg, it is the preferred file format for images and other elements in Design Space, rather than png or jpeg; while those can be used they can result in less sharp cuts for complicated images.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:18 am
What to know how old I am? I have a first generation Cricut and I love it!

moramom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:16 am
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
This is All so helpful to me!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics