Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Leave flame on with or without blech

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 7:46 am
First time leaving on a flame on stovetop. Which is safer? Keeping the flame exposed? Or putting a blech on? Thanks.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 7:56 am
I keep my blech on to remind us that the flame is on.
Otherwise I don’t think it makes a difference

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 8:25 am
Blech on simply because it reminds you the flame is on and prevents possible accidents and also because it makes the kitchen less hot.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:00 am
WITH!!! So dangerous to leave open flame!

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:10 am
Always always always with. And make sure to keep a kettle or a pot full of water on . It serves as a heat sink to prevent the blech from getting too hot and as a weight to prevent a random gust or bump from blowing or knocking the blech off the stove.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
WITH!!! So dangerous to leave open flame!

Why? A tiny flame with sufficient ventilation in your home is ok.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Btw, I have been told by an expert that a tiny flame is worse than a small/medium flame. He said that releases more Co2. He said if you're leaving on a flame, leave it on small/medium and an open window in the kitchen the entire time.

moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:30 am
I know leaving the gas on for shabbat/chag is common in the US, but it sounds so dangerous to me. I could never do that. We use an electric plata and even that is on a timer so it's not on the whole time.

paperflowers

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:33 am
Interesting, I leave it uncovered overnight because I’ve heard it’s bad to let the gas and heat build up under the blech.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:50 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Btw, I have been told by an expert that a tiny flame is worse than a small/medium flame. He said that releases more Co2. He said if you're leaving on a flame, leave it on small/medium and an open window in the kitchen the entire time.

If you leave a window open please be careful there are no loose napkins, scraps of paper etc that may be blown around and possibly land near enough the flame that it could ignite.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:53 am
Blech, never leave an open flame alone - you can also just leave a pot of boiling water over the flame.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

It increases the chance of blowing out which of course is a huge safety issue. As well as something could blow or fall on it, causing a huge fire. Why chance it on either of these?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:36 am
Ok it looks like I can’t locate a blech this late. So next question can I warm up soup in a pan in the oven? My pots all have rubber handles. I was thinking those like round heavier disposable pans. Would that work?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note