Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Michlalah, Machon Raaya - academic equals a ton of work?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 11:36 pm
My daughter is smart but is convinced she doesnt want to go to an academic seminary and do lots of work. I'm really not interested in paying for a flakey year plus I think she's underselling herself as she goes to a small OOT school. But I do agree that doing a ton of busy work is silly and wouldn't want that either.

My understanding is that Machon Raaya is more work than Michlalah. Is it really so much? Please speak more on what academic means with regard to Machon Raaya and also specifically regarding work load.

I went to Darchei Binah (years ago!) and had a ton of friends in Michlalah too. I don't recall having a ton of work and don't recall my friends in Michlalah being overworked at all. I thought that it's just that there are more text based classes in Michlalah as opposed to less "academic" seminaries, but I honestly am under the impression that you don't have tons of work like in BJJ and Bnos Sara.

Also DD claims that as I went to sem so long ago, everything changed. I get that some seminaries have changed, but I think that Michlalah is pretty solidly similar to what it was. I'd love feedback on that. Yes, I am a big Michlalah fan so of course that's unfortunately turning my daughter off Sad plus the fact that she's in a BY and thinks that Michlalah isn't for her, although we're not really yeshivish nor is she. But I'd very strongly prefer it to a "Bais Yaakov light" seminary. I think the girls are more solid. Plus, she's going to Stern or Touro Manhatten (Lander's) after. Those are basically her college choices.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:51 am
I could be wrong but I don’t think michlala is considered a BY seminary even though the girls are solid frum girls.
Another point, academic seminary doesn’t necessarily mean you have to do busy work. There are many academic seminaries that you don’t have to spend hours and hours doing work as long as you don’t care about your grades. (I went to Bnos Sarah and never spent more than a day working on a report compared to girls who worked on theirs for weeks)

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 1:22 am
Machon Raaya sounds perfect for your daughter. My daughter went there and loved it. It’s not a ton of work like Bnos Sarah. Any seminary is going to have some work, you may as well have it be stimulating and on your level! Machon Raaya allows the girls to choose some of their classes. They do this by having the girls sit in on all of them for the first few weeks, and then deciding what they like. So at first, it may seem like a lot, but it really isn’t. There are some required classes, but when it comes to the electives, the girls can make as light or as heavy of a load as they want.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 1:40 am
If she's smart the work will be manageable at machon raaya. My dd was there last year and tests every second day but she loves that. I wouldn't personally push her toward a SEM with tests all the time as she won't feel motivated etc and it seems unfair to her.
There are surely academic sems with less tests. Like darchi Bina...
I just think there's something in between flakey and hard core.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:51 am
I went to michlalah. A lot of solid text based learning but I really don't remember a ton of work

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 7:00 am
It’s funny, I was going to suggest Darchei Binah

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 7:55 am
I went to Michlalah 15 years ago. There was very little work that I recall. It was to the left of the BY seminaries, and to the right of the modern places. Really in a league of its own. Plenty of shtark girls. The majority of the girls were very smart, developed, and motivated. I wouldn't avoid it out of concern for being overworked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics