Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Are you excited to stay home or not (on roshni hashanah)
Previous  1  2  3

Are you happy to stay home from shul
No I love going to shul and I try to find a babysitter so I can go  
 13%  [ 20 ]
No I love going to shul but I don't have a babysitter  
 34%  [ 49 ]
Yes I never enjoyed going to shul  
 52%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 144

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
So this is something I grapple with.
If we're all sending our kids and babies out to babysitters every other day of the year, why on RH are we suddenly all about that a woman's job is looking after her kids rather than trying to sort out childcare arrangements for at least part of the time?

A lot of the people we normally send to are also hoping to spend some time in shul. No school, gan or playgroup is open on Rosh HaShana, like they aren't on Shabbos. Some days you can send your children out. Some days they are your responsibility.

If you can get together with a friend or neighbour to each spend some time babysitting and some time in shul, that's great. If you can't, then whose job is it to look after your children?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
So this is something I grapple with.
If we're all sending our kids and babies out to babysitters every other day of the year, why on RH are we suddenly all about that a woman's job is looking after her kids rather than trying to sort out childcare arrangements for at least part of the time?

Just a couple of reasons
- on RH your children deserve to have a Jewish mother spend the day with them and hopefully inspire them. My friend used her regular cleaning help and came home to find her kids coloring.
-Teenage girls should be going to shul not babysitting.
-Many mothers are happy to stay home!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 5:47 pm
I love staying home with them!! We go to shul for shofer - and stay outside to hear, then we go to park and meet up with friends. I had such a great RH, the park was full of mothers and kids and we all had a great time.

I spent shofer time opening chocolate wrappers for the kids, but I reminded myself that this is what Hashem wants from me right now, to open the wrappers.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 6:33 pm
Mayflower wrote:
The first few years after I became a mother, I had a hard time not going to shul. Then I got used to it, I found a way to daven at home...
However, this year, I feel my oldest daughter is really old enough to be in shul (but she still needs some help navigating the machzor - so I can't just leave her on her own). Not sure what to do - I didn't find a babysitter for my baby.

I have had this situation over the years and I sent my daughters to shul after going through the machzor with them and showing them what to do. What always ended up happening though was other older women in shul have noticed and helped them with finding pages, what to say when etc. And other years when my children were all shul going age I have been that older woman who helped the younger girls who came alone.
This year I was back home again with my baby, I wasn't too upset though after my daughters came home the first day and said the AC didnt work and it was stifling. I'd rather daven in my air conditioned dining room!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 8:53 pm
I think I davened mincha once and ran to shul to hear a shvach version of tekias shofar and my husband waited outside for me after to daven mincha
I have no drive to daven and I feel guilty
most I say is brachos each day

and to top it off my mom spent the morning with my 7 month baby so I could rest

feeling extra guilty.

I took my baby for a walk today and then played with her a bit and we both napped. holy day... not!

DVOM

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I think I davened mincha once and ran to shul to hear a shvach version of tekias shofar and my husband waited outside for me after to daven mincha
I have no drive to daven and I feel guilty
most I say is brachos each day

and to top it off my mom spent the morning with my 7 month baby so I could rest

feeling extra guilty.

I took my baby for a walk today and then played with her a bit and we both napped. holy day... not!

I find caring for my children and my home to be a holy calling. I was able to daven a little bit on both days and hear shofer blowing. I cooked and served and cleaned up 4 yummy yom tov meals. I read books and shmoozed and was attentive and connected with my bigger kids. I held and cuddled and fed and cleaned and changed my 7 week old. It felt like a holy day.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 6:49 am
That’s beautiful. And meaningful. And holy.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics