Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shopping for a developing 10-year-old (in Israel)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 3:10 pm
My daughter is 10 but on the taller side and starting to develop, and I see I may need to change the style of clothing I buy for her. She is very happy with little girl styles, and socially/emotionally that is still where she's at, but she is starting to develop on top and it doesn't look right.

Advice on what I should look for? I don't want to make her self-conscious, and I want her to continue to love her clothes, just need to present her with options that work for her changing body... I feel like this is new territory.

And where should I go? For the past few years I have gotten most of her Shabbos clothes from Kiddichic, and she loves that store. Can I still expect to find stuff there, or is it time to move on? And where should we go instead? We live in Jerusalem. Please send tips!

I may be able to take her shopping tomorrow afternoon and would love to go with some sort of game plan. Where would there be a concentration of stores with options, that is parking friendly? Ramot mall? The main shopping street in Givah B in Beitar?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Teomima

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 3:21 pm
Ramot mall has some great options.

I found decent clothes for that age still at Children's Place, and shortly after when my girls were ready for more grown up styles, Tamnun has proven to be wonderful.

Have you found anything at Next that you think might work? Their children's sizes go up through age 16 and the older kid stuff is more mature looking than the young kids clothes.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 3:52 pm
I have found nice things at Kiwi (but you have to sort through their selection -- some of their stuff is awful).

Golf Kids has okay things from time to time.

In general, I find very few stores here that have a huge selection of things I actually like. I have learned to go in expecting to dislike most of the merchandise and am thrilled if I find one item that works.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 4:29 pm
not sure of your style or location but if you are looking for 'chareidi' styles-
in rbs - I had a lot of success at 'lord hakatan' and another store whose name escapes me right now. but its in the 'lev harama' mall in rbs/bs. also 'cuties' store might work they have a branch in geula and beit shemesh area. maybe in more places.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 5:38 pm
Kidichik is fine for a few more years. I often don’t like their styles though.
Melange is good too.

blessedjmom

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 5:43 pm
Chemise has pretty options
Did you try Zara?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 5:59 pm
My girls are older now, but I remember a few years back when they were at that stage, thinking that someone smart should open up a store for tween girls.

There really aren't enough options in Israel for the 10-13 age group.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 6:04 pm
In Jerusalem there are options but more expensive than the stores listed above by others. I have same age daughter and developing too. I did very well in Junees (they just opened last season a store front on Shamgar) also Carousel on Yosef Ziv, most of their stuff are more expensive. I found 2 shabbos dresses in the 300 -400 shekel range there. They have a preteen rack in the back.
I dont usually spend alot on my kids but this is a tricky age and I found it necessary for my child.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:30 am
Mekimi has a teen line with some nice things.

Maybe also Zara? Although I have found their little girl clothing nicer than their selection for older girls.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
In Jerusalem there are options but more expensive than the stores listed above by others. I have same age daughter and developing too. I did very well in Junees (they just opened last season a store front on Shamgar) also Carousel on Yosef Ziv, most of their stuff are more expensive. I found 2 shabbos dresses in the 300 -400 shekel range there. They have a preteen rack in the back.
I dont usually spend alot on my kids but this is a tricky age and I found it necessary for my child.

If it’s junees from America, they’re probably a very good option.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:46 am
I think it depends on your style, I got a lot of nice things for my tweens at חצאית המנשה off of Yaffo they have a lot of dresses and skirts and t-shirts. I find that the dati bazar type stores have better selection than the chains for this age, because this is an age where tznius because an issue.
I was recently at Children’s Place with my nine year old and everything seemed very childish and not even appropriate for her age, I ended up getting her just leggings (but I stocked up for my younger child).

mochamix18

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 3:29 am
Here are a couple more places to try:
Zoya and Zoya girls both on Yaffo, Mini Allenby on Ben Yehuda, Cherry which has locations kn Malchai Yisrael, Center 1 and the Ramot mall, New Basics on Malchai Yisrael, Belvi with locations on King George and off of Kikar Shabbos (what is the name of that uphill street where Rikimat is?). Also a second vote for Mekimi Teen and Chemise, both very good quality. I don’t yet have a daughter that age (she’s just turning 2 k”h 😂, but I was that 10 year old. Good luck.

Last edited by mochamix18 on Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 4:10 am
Thank you everyone! This is all really helpful. I did see some of the teen stuff in Mekimi and style wise it looks just right for her though I don't know about fit... I think she is tall for her age (taller than her classmates) but she's still well below five feet tall. I will take her there and we'll see.... I guess I also need to get used to a higher price point than we are able to get away with in the kid stores.

She's very into the chareidi look. I care that she covers knees/elbows etc. and she likes the fashion so it works. I was wondering about Chemise--I'll have to check it out.

Regarding getting things for her from Kiddichic and other "kid" stores--any tips on what to look for? I think a lot of the dresses that she likes are really meant style-wise to be worn by a flat-chested girl. She has some dresses in size 16 and they are technically her size but they are starting to look funny, or her training bra shows through the fabric. What should we be looking out for? Any way to know which of the bigger sizes are "cut" to work for this stage? Or do I just get thicker fabrics that may obscure her shape a little more?

I was actually browsing Next last night but I wasn't sure how to look for her. If the same dress runs from little kid sizes up to size 16 or whatever (I don't remember what the biggest size was for girls at Next)--do I assume that the bigger size will work for her, or is it just the same little girl style, just bigger, and won't work on her new shape? Do I need to find a style that ONLY runs in the bigger sizes? (I didn't see any like that.)

Thank you! I don't remember being in this stage at all myself... I developed at an older age and went straight into teen/adult stuff (which I didn't fit into because I was short/petite, but that's another story...)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:05 am
Next is often short.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:20 am
Yeah lengths on Next can be problematic even for the younger ages. If necklines and covering-knee length are important to you, then only very specific styles on Next would work out.

tree of life

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:23 am
Zoya hundred percent lots if choices hatzlacha

mochamix18

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:32 am
I was looking at melange and thinking maybe get her skirts and sweaters for shabbos instead of dresses. Still the style and store she would like but more forgiving on a changing body and the right sweater or top may conceal the training bra more adequately than the dresses.

byisrael

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 6:27 am
Also some of the more flowy, looser styles that are in know vs. more fitted dresses might work

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 7:58 am
Marks and Spencer also has girls' sizes to 16, and ship free to Israel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics