Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chinuch for a 12 year old boy

ima25

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:58 am
I'm lost as to what to do for my 12 year old son for school.

I have friends (colleagues, really) who homeschool or "unschool," but they are not Jewish. I am all for feeding children's curiosity and letting them learn on their own, but this kid would rather play computer games then leave the house and explore. He's going to be bar-mitzvah this year, so needs some structured Torah learning.
And my work schedule is erratic (not too mention that I am not the best teacher for him).

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:01 am
Is there a reason you don't want to send him to traditional school? Based on what you've said so far, it seems the most reasonable

ima25

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:04 am
Covid restrictions.
Last year was awful. When he found out they are requiring masks again, he burst out crying. And because they are a private school, they don't have to accept waivers for vaccines, and that's just not an option for us.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:05 am
Hire a rebbe for a few hours a day to learn with him

wtvr

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:07 am
Try the Nigri Jewish Online school.
See if they have a class for his age.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:14 am
Find out if he can join online Chabad they have for the children of Shluchim

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:21 am
https://melamedacademy.com/ This school has a phenomenal reputation. I know several families who have out of the box kids (ADHD, ODD, or just plain unhappy with the social structure.) They've all seen amazing results with this program.

The classes are interesting enough to keep kids engaged, even if they're not super self motivated. I've seen some really lackluster kids bloom like crazy, especially in kriah.

I do think that hiring someone, even a high school boy, to sit and learn with him for an hour would be a good idea.

Since vaccines and masks don't work for your family, I applaud you for being responsible and taking the harder road of home schooling. It's not easy, but it's the right thing to do.

ima25

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 12:36 pm
[quote="FranticFrummie"]https://melamedacademy.com/ This school has a phenomenal reputation.

For some reason, I cannot get into their site. I have tried on both my computer through different browsers and on my phone.

Weird.

ETA ATT tech turned off safety for this site. It is the only site that I have been prevented to see since switching to ATT.
Very weird.

Last edited by ima25 on Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

naomi2

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 1:37 pm
See if he can tolerate a mesh mask. They sell them online. Obviously they are just for show. But the paper and fabric ones are useless as well

ima25

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:10 pm
naomi2 wrote:
See if he can tolerate a mesh mask. They sell them online. Obviously, they are just for show. But the paper and fabric ones are useless as well

My concern for the masks are the fibers these kids are breathing in for 7 hours a day and also kids not able to see the teachers' faces, friends' faces.

theotherone1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:35 am
Melamed Academy. I have no personal experience but my friend uses them and both she and her son are thrilled.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:38 am
ima25 wrote:
My concern for the masks are the fibers these kids are breathing in for 7 hours a day and also kids not able to see the teachers' faces, friends' faces.

So your fear and anxiety went over to your child. As his mother, you are not supposed to teach him about such fears but help him feel comfortable where he belongs.

mamabird73

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 2:50 pm
Hi OP, did you end up coming up with a solution for your homeschooling son? I started homeschooling last year and have a son around that age. I don't know where you're located, but feel free to pm me if you want to talk about ideas or just someone to connect to in a similar position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics