Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time do you wake up Rosh Hashana?
Previous  1  2

What time do your family wake up Rosh Hashana
Whenever we naturally wake up  
 64%  [ 59 ]
When we wake up the first time, do not go back to sleep no matter the time  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Adults wake up at the elos and children whenever  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Adults and children up 12/13 at the elos, younger children whenever  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Adults and all children ages 2 and up at the elos  
 2%  [ 2 ]
DH and boys the elos, me and girls whenever  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 92

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 6:33 pm
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Because in each of your examples there is a halachik guideline that we adhere too, not just preference.

There are zmanim for tefilla that are considered ideal and zmanim that are acceptable and zmanim that are borderline, and if you sleep in too much you've missed certain zmanim. If you happen to be man with chiyuvim, that's a real problem. You can't chalk it up to being a night owl.

Davening with a minyan is a halachik issue (certainly for mincha and shachris). It's even brought down that a woman, theoretically/ideally should daven with a minyan but is of course exempt from obligation (in Rev Kanievsky's biography it mentions that she was makbid). Halacha doesn't allow for a man who prefers to daven at home, lchatchilla.

And in terms of shabbos clothes...there's, again, a halachik inyan of having special clothing for shabbos. So if your robe and comfy socks are presentable and set aside for shabbos, you're good.

So you're saying that according to halacha your supposed to wake up at 6 to daven on time 10 is no good?
And a shabos robe that's pretty a lkovod shabos is no good

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 12:56 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
So you're saying that according to halacha your supposed to wake up at 6 to daven on time 10 is no good?
And a shabos robe that's pretty a lkovod shabos is no good

According to halacha the ideal time to daven shacharit is at neitz. The exact time varies in different countries and different times of year. We're not makpid to insist that everyone davens at neitz.

Kriyat Shema has to be said within the first three hours of the day (sha'ot zmaniot). Again, the exact time varies, but I've just looked it up and where I live today that means saying Shema by 9:27. Any later than that and you have failed to fulfill the Mitzvah of Kriyat Shema.

The ideal time for shacharit is until the fourth hour of the day (sha'ot zmaniot). Where I live today that is until 10:30. If you don't manage it on time, you can still daven shacharit until chatzot - by me at 12:38. This is considered bedieved, and not what one should plan to do.

So by getting up at 10:00 you would have missed zman Kriyat Shema, and be very rushed to manage shacharit within an ideal time frame. Obviously, this is a lot more relevant to men than women. Especially on Rosh HaShana, shuls plan their schedule around ideal times, not bedieved times.

In terms of Shabbos clothing there is a lot more flexibility, and many of the expectations are social. The halacha expects that when possible one will have a seperate, better garment set aside for Shabbos. Your pretty robe would fulfil that expectation. From a social perspective I don't advise you to wear it for shul!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:12 pm

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:51 pm
First day I was up at 6:30
Second day I couldn’t get up.. kept falling back asleep. Finally got up at 8:45.
I daven shachris at home because it’s too much for my kids to be in shul all day. We go for mussaf.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:14 am
I wasn't sure what to answer. My husband and boys wake up about half an hour before shacharis, which means at about 7:30, and the girls and younger kids and I wake up whenever we naturally wake up.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur