Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Moving help in brooklyn and getting rid/selling stuff

ladYdI

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:24 am
Mom is moving. No dad around. Is there a person or agency that we can hire to help her.
1) pack up
2) see what stuff can be resold and try to resell
Those things. Like furniture and also high ticket items like herend, Lalique, jewelry and silver
3)what about stuff to donate? Like beds, linen, towels, kitchen stuff, clothing.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 10:51 am
There are personal organizers that pack for moving

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:49 pm
The Ami once wrote about a company that comes in to an estate and does everything for you. I'm sure it's expensive. Reach out to them to obtain contact info.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:22 pm
You can send items for free giveaway and for sale to yad shniah, it's a Whatsapp status and they will post it. They also have an Instagram.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:31 pm
Is your mother competent to supervise people who do the actual physical labor?

I hired my cleaning lady to help me pack. I also used her to unpack which is why she has job security for life because she knows where everything is better than I do LOL

You can hire a teenager as you don't really need skilled labor. I did wrap up stuff that was fragile. There are moving services that will do everything for you but they are quite expensive. I have friends who used them when insurance paid because of flood damage.

You should carefully go through stuff to make sure that you have gathered all important documents as well as sentimental stuff.

You need to be realistic about what the real value of stuff is. Much of what your mother collected isn't particularly valuable now because it isn't in style. You can check the sold price on EBAY to get a good sense of what a particular item is worth. If stuff is small and portable like jewelry the best thing is to just pack it up and don't bother dealing with it until after the move.

Used furniture is generally not very valuable unless it is some kind of rare piece but if it is just nice used furniture, it doesn't have much value. You can try to sell it on craigslist but it is a lot of hassle for not much return.

You can contact people who buy estates and the contents of homes. There are also people who do estate sales for a percentage of the stuff sold.

And of course you can contact various charities to donate but they generally are picky - they don't take any beds or mattresses and aren't particularly interested in most upholstered furniture as well. If you like animals, many animal shelters will take blankets and towels for the cats and dogs.

eduardo

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 4:05 pm
depending on what brand your furniture is, you can try aptdeco

As far as dishes, jewelry etc, I would try poshmark

Let me know if you do end up selling- I love herend and lalique and would be interested in buying

ladYdI

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:00 pm
eduardo wrote:
depending on what brand your furniture is, you can try aptdeco

As far as dishes, jewelry etc, I would try poshmark

Let me know if you do end up selling- I love herend and lalique and would be interested in buying

She does want to sell some herend and Lalique

ladYdI

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
Is your mother competent to supervise people who do the actual physical labor?

I hired my cleaning lady to help me pack. I also used her to unpack which is why she has job security for life because she knows where everything is better than I do LOL

You can hire a teenager as you don't really need skilled labor. I did wrap up stuff that was fragile. There are moving services that will do everything for you but they are quite expensive. I have friends who used them when insurance paid because of flood damage.

You should carefully go through stuff to make sure that you have gathered all important documents as well as sentimental stuff.

You need to be realistic about what the real value of stuff is. Much of what your mother collected isn't particularly valuable now because it isn't in style. You can check the sold price on EBAY to get a good sense of what a particular item is worth. If stuff is small and portable like jewelry the best thing is to just pack it up and don't bother dealing with it until after the move.

Used furniture is generally not very valuable unless it is some kind of rare piece but if it is just nice used furniture, it doesn't have much value. You can try to sell it on craigslist but it is a lot of hassle for not much return.

You can contact people who buy estates and the contents of homes. There are also people who do estate sales for a percentage of the stuff sold.

And of course you can contact various charities to donate but they generally are picky - they don't take any beds or mattresses and aren't particularly interested in most upholstered furniture as well. If you like animals, many animal shelters will take blankets and towels for the cats and dogs.

Txs for this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics