Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for me

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 9:59 pm
I'm trying to think of a present for myself. I'm not sure thereyreally exists anything that I'd want. Here's a little about me:
I'm a mother of a few kids, in my 20s.
Im a bit of a nerd. I'll probably end up getting a book if I can't think of anything.
It should be something I can enjoy on Yom tov, but doesn't need to be only for Yom tov.
It can be edible, but not unhealthy. I won't be having any of the seudos at home, so nothing for that.
I dislike spending money, but I do have some dedicated to this purpose. So the cost can be just $20, or it can be more, like $200 max. And I'll be happy either way.
I don't want to buy any clothing in my current size. (but it can be a one size fits all accessory) I don't want to get jewelry, because I pretty much wear the same couple of items every time. (maybe a nice clip for my shaitel? Not sure what or where to buy)
It can be in any category, including edible, wearable, useful, entertaining, decorative...
I don't have a lot of space-for storage or for display.
Some things I've gotten in the past include a nice (but small and simple) watch, a faux leather Shabbos tablecloth, reading material.
Am I asking the impossible?

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:08 pm
does it have to be a "thing" or can it be something like a massage, manicure...

or something like hand lotion, bath bomb...

Genius

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:12 pm
A perfume, a handbag, chocolate (some say it's healthy)

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm trying to think of a present for myself. I'm not sure thereyreally exists anything that I'd want. Here's a little about me:
I'm a mother of a few kids, in my 20s.
Im a bit of a nerd. I'll probably end up getting a book if I can't think of anything.
It should be something I can enjoy on Yom tov, but doesn't need to be only for Yom tov.
It can be edible, but not unhealthy. I won't be having any of the seudos at home, so nothing for that.
I dislike spending money, but I do have some dedicated to this purpose. So the cost can be just $20, or it can be more, like $200 max. And I'll be happy either way.
I don't want to buy any clothing in my current size. (but it can be a one size fits all accessory) I don't want to get jewelry, because I pretty much wear the same couple of items every time. (maybe a nice clip for my shaitel? Not sure what or where to buy)
It can be in any category, including edible, wearable, useful, entertaining, decorative...
I don't have a lot of space-for storage or for display.
Some things I've gotten in the past include a nice (but small and simple) watch, a faux leather Shabbos tablecloth, reading material.
Am I asking the impossible?

OMGG!!!!!!!! Are you me??????
I'm following because:
I also have money allocated for a gift for me right now and can't decide what to buy. I am also in my 20's and a mother of a few kids. I'm a nerd too. I also don't want anything unhealthy. I will aslo not be eating seudos at home. I ALSO DON'T WANT TO BUY CLOTHING IN MY CURRENT SIZE (thought I'm the only crazy one), I wear the same jewelry all the time so no jewelry for me either. I also don't have a lot of space for storage or display.
The only difference: I haven't gotten the same things as you in the past, aside for the watch. LOL LOL

I was thinking of maybe getting a messenger bag or evening bag, maybe a massage (but not sure if it's a waste of money), maybe a new set of linen??????

Following for more ideas. thanks op for starting this thread

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:42 pm
A magazine subscription was a great gift for me !
Also a paid course (teleconference)on shalom bayis, chinuch etc was really nice gift (but not for YT)
Manicures are always appreciated

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:28 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
does it have to be a "thing" or can it be something like a massage, manicure...

or something like hand lotion, bath bomb...

It doesn't have to be a thing, but I don't think I'd want a manicure or massage. Maybe I can think of something similar... I wasn't thinking in that directions, so thanks!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
OMGG!!!!!!!! Are you me??????
I'm following because:
I also have money allocated for a gift for me right now and can't decide what to buy. I am also in my 20's and a mother of a few kids. I'm a nerd too. I also don't want anything unhealthy. I will aslo not be eating seudos at home...

Probably really I'm you, and I just changed a few details to stay anonymous! OK, maybe not, but this is pretty funny.
I also thought of getting linen, cuz that's something useful and also enjoyable. I just worry I wouldn't use it because I really like one set of linen that I have, so I always wash it and put it right back!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:35 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
A magazine subscription was a great gift for me !
Also a paid course (teleconference)on shalom bayis, chinuch etc was really nice gift (but not for YT)
Manicures are always appreciated

I really like magazines, but I don't want to get a subscription cuz I seem to have neighbors who take them before I can bring them inside...
Maybe I can find a course that would be interesting to me. That's an Idea.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:55 am
Along the lines of a service... If you don't have regular cleaning help, maybe a nice deep clean. Professional organizer. Personal training session. Babysitter so you can spend some "me" time, lol. Membership to somewhere (gym, museum, pool).

Something I've had on my potential list is a porch swing (might not be relevant to your living situation).

shirachadasha

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:54 am
A sefer or Jewish book

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:00 am
Adult lego set.

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:05 am
Adult coloring book and cool coloring supplies (gel pens)

An art class or art supplies for at home

A therapeutic writing class

The “calm” app?

(Not Yom Tov things though)

Tof Umachol

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:11 am
Something for your house like curtains, a light fixture, a wall hanging?
A subscription to a magazine or journal?
Membership at the gym/pool/dance studio?
Season tickets to a theater or concert hall?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:31 am
You sound like a person who’s not into “things.” Go for an experience: a trip somewhere, a lesson in something, a show, a half day or day at a spa You won’t be able to do it on YT but you can’t have everything and your list of specs is rather extensive.

Or go for an “analog” game of some sort along the lines of Trivial Pursuit or the Mensa cards, which have the advantage of being something you can share with others on YT.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:45 am
Not for yom tov, but get ur self a gift card for a food place u like so u can treat ur self to(healthy) lunch a bunch of times

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 8:01 am
Thank you, everyone! I have to say I'm impressed. I really thought I may be asking the impossible, and here are so many suggestions!
In case it helps anyone think of more ideas, here are the ones I'm most considering:
Linen
Books
A course (something creative)
A healthy lunch budget
A babysitter so I can do something fun
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics