Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
If you are in shul all day on RH…
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:56 am
When do you heat up your food??

I left shul early one day and went home to put food in the oven. Then went back to shul for the end.
The next day I just left shul 1/2 early to heat up food and make a salad..
But there were people who stayed in shul all day. I was wondering about their food. Do they eat cold food? Do they put it in the oven in the morning and eat slightly dried out food? Do they wait an hour after shul for the food to heat up?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:58 am
I either put mine in a very low oven, or I like to out up a medium blech and leave it for three hours.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:07 am
Low blech all day. But we always serve a wet entree (roast, stew, etc) so there’s no drying out

hodeez

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:10 am
Maybe they have teens who take care of the meal setup

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:12 am
I live close to shul and pop out during the haftorah to heat up lunch. It looks to me like some other women do the same.

Some people just have one hot dish, warmed in the crockpot, and everything else is eaten cold. One of my neighbors makes fresh schnitzel when she gets home from shul. (But the men in her family daven vatikin, while she goes to the main minyan, so that by the time she gets back, they've already had kiddush and aren't starving.)

I don't find that being able to cook on yom tov is actually compatible with going to shul. Since shul is a priority for me, I cook in advance and reheat food on yom tov.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:21 am
We all go to vatikin and get back at 10 10:30 so plenty of time to warm up food or cook fresh (I usually do a bit of both). We have kiddush when we get back from shul and lunch at 12:00 ish.
This year on the first day I actually put up a pot of what would later be pulled beef before shul at 5:30 on a low heat - by the time we got back from shul it was perfect.

SG18

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:32 am
Our first course is salatim, which we serve cold. I heat up the challah for a few minutes, and then the main course heats up during the first course.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:28 pm
I once asked a very choshuva rebbetzin if she could host my DD (who was away at seminary) for Rosh Hashana.

The rebbetzin told me she's happy to host any time, but Rosh Hashana not, because her priority is davening and she can't have the food distracting her. Perhaps she & her family were fine with cold food or one course warmed up while they ate the first. But she didn't feel like she could be so casual with guests.

I daven quite close to where I live so I could in theory pop home. In fact for someone who's a bit ADD sitting in shul so long is very difficult so the food could be a good excuse for a break. But actually I find if I leave after the last tekiyos there's some time. Or my DD who's home with babies has done some of the prep.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 2:27 pm
I live about 30 seconds from Shul so I pop out a couple of times. Also use the bathroom at my house.

gingleale

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 2:59 pm
We leave the plata on a timer. In the morning before we leave all the food goes on the plata, it turns on an hour or two before we expect to be home and we come home to hot food.

syrima

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 3:05 pm
We leave the oven on 250 Fahrenheit so I can put in the main course when I get home and serve salads and fish first. If all goes well the main is hot in 15 minutes or so.
Or I go home a bit early while the men stay for mincha to fry some schnitzel.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 3:15 pm
whats the big deal

We both go to shul at 7. Around 1030, there is a very nice kiddush
We get home at 230 , husband cooks everything frim scratch, and we eat about 330

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:12 am
Everything goes on the plata. I usually serve meat in gravy/sauce so it doesnt get dried out. I had no issues with the side dishes being dried out.
First course is salad so if something needs to be moved around on the plata, we have a little bit of time.
I don't come home in the middle of shul, nor do I leave early.
I set the table before I leave and everyone pitches in when we get home to put wine, challah, etc. on the table.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:41 am
Like any Shabbat or YT, food is cooked in advance and goes on the blech in the morning before I go to shul. What’s the problem? Of course our surname isn’t Feinschmecker and we like our food very very well done. If the chicken falls apart when we take it out of the pot, so much the better. As for soup, the longer it cooks, the better it gets.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:58 am
My mom puts up a fresh roast in the morning before shul, something that tastes best cooked for a long time. She leaves shul right after the last tekios to get home before everyone else so she has time to warm up anything else and make a fresh salad. If she has any of us for Yom Tov and we come much later to shul because of the little kids then she gives us instructions as to what to take out of the fridge and when or what should go on the blech.

I've only ever been home for Rosh Hashanah this year and last year, neither of which I went to shul at all because of covid so I just put the food up sometime between 12 and 1, expecting DH to get home a little after 1.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:02 am
This is what I do every chag and it works amazing. (not pesach Smile

I keep my oven off. Before leaving for shul I light(from preexisting flame) around 20 tealights and put them into the bottom of the oven.
Put in all the food. When I come home everything is nice and hot but it doesn't dry it out. If needed, for like rice, put the tray into a second tray with some water in the pot so it stays extra moist.

For salads I try to serve some that can be made in advance and are ready to go and for fresh salads I work fast and chop before shul. Same with table setting.
(posted anon because in real life I'm known for this hack:)

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:07 am
zaq wrote:
Like any Shabbat or YT, food is cooked in advance and goes on the blech in the morning before I go to shul. What’s the problem? Of course our surname isn’t Feinschmecker and we like our food very very well done. If the chicken falls apart when we take it out of the pot, so much the better. As for soup, the longer it cooks, the better it gets.

This is what I do (minus the soup, which we save for night meals). It all goes on our hot-plate.

What is "all day" on Rosh Hashana? I personally leave for shul around 10:00 with the kids so I put the food on right before I go. Shul ended both days at 1:00. BH this works out perfectly for us.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:29 am
watergirl wrote:
This is what I do (minus the soup, which we save for night meals). It all goes on our hot-plate.

What is "all day" on Rosh Hashana? I personally leave for shul around 10:00 with the kids so I put the food on right before I go. Shul ended both days at 1:00. BH this works out perfectly for us.

My kids aren't little. I get to shul when it starts, and I'm not the only woman there.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:43 am
watergirl wrote:

By us, approximately 5:00 - 12:00. Around six to seven hours.

Main course is normally served with sauce, so there is no risk of it drying out. Sometimes I'll prepare it in advance, and then put it in the crockpot to cook before leaving for shul. If I have a flame it's easy to cook something like rice while we are eating the first course. A lot depends on how organized I am that year!

etky

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 6:43 am
gingleale wrote:
We leave the plata on a timer. In the morning before we leave all the food goes on the plata, it turns on an hour or two before we expect to be home and we come home to hot food.

Same. That's what I usually do.
I live 30 seconds from the shul so theoretically I could just pop home to take the food out of the fridge and put it on the plata when the plata switches on, about 2 hours before we are scheduled to eat.
However, I find that it's actually a problem finding a good time to leave shul on Rosh Hashanah.
Shacharit is too early, I don't want to miss the Torah or Haftorah which are my favorite parts of the service,and then there's the main shofar blowing and then the amida of Mussaf and the piyutim of chazarat hashatz including Netaneh Tokef which I don't want to miss either.
So if I do have to pop out for whatever reason I will go immediately after kedushah of Musaf and make sure to return before the shofar blowing for Malchuyot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur