Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
KGH ladies- atria 2000, the opal, oasis...? please help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:08 am
We're a young yeshivish couple with a small baby looking to move to KGH.

I have heard of all 3 of these buildings, can anyone describe them a bit to me? Where are they located in relation to main street? Do mostly Jews live in these buildings?
What is rent like in each one? And any ideas of other places we can look to find an apartment?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 1:26 am
If you are a young yeshivish couple, the Opal and Atria are not for you. Too far from where you want to be and you won’t have neighbors like you. Maybe Oasis, but it’s expensive. What about private apartments in 2 family houses? What shul/Yeshiva do you want to be near?
Look in the Queens Jewish Link (newspaper can be found online) and also on the KGHshuls io group. https://groups.io/g/KGHShuls
You can post that you are looking for an apartment. Best to know what shul you want to be near so that people can guide you properly.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 8:38 am
Most things are within a few blocks of Main street, the question is WHERE on main St do you want to be?
There are lots of different co-ops, and I'd say that's where the majority of the young families live (also basements, depending how young). Kghshuls emails (mentioned above) is my best recommendation.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
If you are a young yeshivish couple, the Opal and Atria are not for you. Too far from where you want to be and you won’t have neighbors like you. Maybe Oasis, but it’s expensive. What about private apartments in 2 family houses? What shul/Yeshiva do you want to be near?
Look in the Queens Jewish Link (newspaper can be found online) and also on the KGHshuls io group. https://groups.io/g/KGHShuls
You can post that you are looking for an apartment. Best to know what shul you want to be near so that people can guide you properly.

thanks so much.
oasis seems very expensive.
I havent seen much in kgh shul list.

Were not from NY but my husband is looking for a yeshivish sefardi shul. He was told to check out Tov

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Most things are within a few blocks of Main street, the question is WHERE on main St do you want to be?
There are lots of different co-ops, and I'd say that's where the majority of the young families live (also basements, depending how young). Kghshuls emails (mentioned above) is my best recommendation.

we live in a basement now and I cant deal with it anymore so looking for a co op or 2 family house even

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:33 am
I'm out of KGH a few years now, but you are probably better off getting on the Facebook group for KGH. The Opal is a nice building and used to have rent stabilized apartments that were more affordable but they historically had a long waitlist. I thought the Atria was on the other side of the GCP. Most young couples rent basement apartments but that really requires being "in the know". Another area to look into is Kew Village.

If not Facebook, There used to be a yahoo group for KGH called KGHshuls, I know it changed at some point but I think there's still something that exists. Where you live really depends a lot on who your "chevra" is--Lander, Chofetz Chaim, and where your husband davens: Ahavas Yisroel, Hashiveinu, Bucharian, Lubavitch.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:51 am
OP, why don't you look into the schrier apartments? Not too far from Tov. They're first or second walk up, so you share the entrance with only 1 other family.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 11:58 am
I lived in the atria for over five years there’s a lot of frum couples all different types there. It’s on parsons and 71st which is a little bit “farther out” its between Kew Garden Hills and Hillcrest. We loved it there - your able to walk to all the main areas of Kew Garden Hills and Aarons (kosher supermarket). It’s also a nice building with an elevator. You can pay for a parking spot in the building.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:32 am
If your want to be near Tov, or perhaps the newer Yeshiva Milchamata Shel Torah on 150th St, you want an apartment somewhere between 70th Road and 68th Drive, maybe up to Melbourne. The Schrier apartments are a great idea and also the 2 family houses on 70th Road and 70th Ave (by Amazing Savings). Apartments on Jewel Ave would work also, but it’s a bit of a noisy street to live on…

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
If your want to be near Tov, or perhaps the newer Yeshiva Milchamata Shel Torah on 150th St, you want an apartment somewhere between 70th Road and 68th Drive, maybe up to Melbourne. The Schrier apartments are a great idea and also the 2 family houses on 70th Road and 70th Ave (by Amazing Savings). Apartments on Jewel Ave would work also, but it’s a bit of a noisy street to live on…

WOW so helpful tysm!!!!
What type of shul is milchamata shel torah?

how do I go about finding schrier apartments? is that the official name?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
OP, why don't you look into the schrier apartments? Not too far from Tov. They're first or second walk up, so you share the entrance with only 1 other family.

How do I find out about them?

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:05 am
You should also check out Ohr Torah, its sefardi yeshivish shul. It's on 73rd Ave, in rabbi savitzki basement.
As others here mentioned, best to check out the yahoo group for apartment rentals. Or if you have Facebook there are a couple Kew Gardens Hills groups.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:19 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
You should also check out Ohr Torah, its sefardi yeshivish shul. It's on 73rd Ave, in rabbi savitzki basement.
As others here mentioned, best to check out the yahoo group for apartment rentals. Or if you have Facebook there are a couple Kew Gardens Hills groups.

Thank you sooo much. I am so new to this. I dont know Queens at all.
Where is 73rd avenue near?
I really only know main street like where amazing savings is. Moving to queens because of my job...

On the yahoo kgh email list they post the same apartments for the past few weeks.

I think im being picky in what I want...

1. windows
2. no basements
3. no carpet
4. would be nice if it was modern...

ive just been living in a really old fashioned basement apartment and its challenging. Mold and other issues too.

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:42 pm
I lived in KGH for 12 1/2 years, but moved out 7 1/2 years ago. I'm sure things have changed a million times over.

The opal had a certain percent of apartments at a really cheap / reduced rate. However, there was a long waiting list. When we lived in KGH, many young Chofetz Chaim families lived there. We lived in the complex unofficially called the "blue buildings" even though majority of the buildings were not blue. There was a huge mix of frum and non jews in the buildings. We had friends that lived in the 2 apartment buildings on diagonal corners of 150th and 79th (right before union turnpike). I don't remember the names of the buildings. Most apartments in those buildings were co-ops, but some were rentals.

Some young couples lived in basements, but they were small and had to move once they had a couple kids.

Rent is expensive in KGH (well NY in general), which was one of the reasons we left.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
I lived in KGH for 12 1/2 years, but moved out 7 1/2 years ago. I'm sure things have changed a million times over.

The opal had a certain percent of apartments at a really cheap / reduced rate. However, there was a long waiting list. When we lived in KGH, many young Chofetz Chaim families lived there. We lived in the complex unofficially called the "blue buildings" even though majority of the buildings were not blue. There was a huge mix of frum and non jews in the buildings. We had friends that lived in the 2 apartment buildings on diagonal corners of 150th and 79th (right before union turnpike). I don't remember the names of the buildings. Most apartments in those buildings were co-ops, but some were rentals.

Some young couples lived in basements, but they were small and had to move once they had a couple kids.

Rent is expensive in KGH (well NY in general), which was one of the reasons we left.

I believe the buildings on 150 and 79th are known as "Benedict"

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really only know main street like where amazing savings is. Moving to queens because of my job...

On the yahoo kgh email list they post the same apartments for the past few weeks.

1. windows
2. no basements
3. no carpet

ive just been living in a really old fashioned basement apartment and its challenging. Mold and other issues too.

Whats your budget?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Whats your budget?

max 2500..
were paying 1500 now for 2 bedroom

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

1. windows
2. no basements
3. no carpet

I also used to live in KGH and moved around 8 years ago. If your budget is 2500 and you want these things, can I recommend you look into Bayswater or other drivable communitues? KGH is insanely expensive and really transient. The ones who tend to stay there are the ones who have family and roots already there. Most other people cant make it work or don't want to try.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:26 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
I also used to live in KGH and moved around 8 years ago. If your budget is 2500 and you want these things, can I recommend you look into Bayswater or other drivable communitues? KGH is insanely expensive and really transient. The ones who tend to stay there are the ones who have family and roots already there. Most other people cant make it work or don't want to try.

we live right next to bayswater but need to be near kgh for personal reasons
we dont plan on staying in NY long term

but what do you mean by most people cant make it work? financially? emotionally?
is it a friendly community? thats also a big reason why we are moving.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:39 pm
You can definitely get a decent 2 bedroom non-basement with the other requirements you listed for $2500 or a bit less. It might just be a slower time of year real-estate wise. Maybe after yt ?

It is transient, but while people are here they're pretty friendly and down-to-earth Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries