Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Buying a roast in advance

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:14 pm
Can I buy a roast in advance and freeze it, and defrost it before I cook it? Not a saucy roast- a roast to be cooked in dry heat to medium temperature.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:23 pm
Of course. I do that all the time.

I also cook, slice, and freeze in advance.

Either option works.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:24 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Of course. I do that all the time.

I also cook, slice, and freeze in advance.

Either option works.

Can you post your favorite recipes? Including the type of meat you use?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:33 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can you post your favorite recipes? Including the type of meat you use?

many of my roasts are more saucy. But I've frozen all types of meat and defrosted for use in the past.

What types of recipes are you looking for?

I just made a simple deckel roast for Y"T that was delicious. I just sprinkled with Kosher salt and peppper, poured 1/2 cup oil over it, covered tightly, and slow-roasted in a 250 oven for about 7 hours. It was soft and yummy. And yes, it had been defrosted out of my freezer.

For chuck roast, I like to do Susie Fishbein's Pot Roast recipe, from the green KBD, but with my own shortcuts. I basically saute onions in a pot, dredge the roast with flour, brown it in the onions on all sides. I then sprinle it with onion soup mix, and add water like 2/3 of the way up, and I let it simmer. After about an hour or so, I add in vegetables, like potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnip. I let it stew another 1 1/2 hours till it's soft.

I have a yummy minute roast I once posted, I'll try to find it for you.

I do a stuffed veal roast - I make my regular potato kugel and bake it with the veal. Kind of like yapchik. I plan to make it for Shabbos Chol Hamoed.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:36 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=20

My minute roast is on page 2. Some posters told me it came out too spicy. If your cayenne pepper is fresh, maybe reduce to 1/2 to 1 tsp rather than 1 1/2.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:40 pm
Thanks for all your great ideas!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:23 pm
it'll be a bear to defrost

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it'll be a bear to defrost

Harder than defrosting a duck or turkey? I do that pretty often.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:30 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Harder than defrosting a duck or turkey? I do that pretty often.

it'll be dense.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:43 pm
I put the frozen raw roast in the fridge a full 24 hours before I want to cook it. Sometimes I'll leave it on the counter for a bit too. No issues.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:57 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can I buy a roast in advance and freeze it, and defrost it before I cook it? Not a saucy roast- a roast to be cooked in dry heat to medium temperature.

Yes, and definitely preferable to cooking and then freezing if it's a dry heat cut like silver tip. Let it rest at room temperature for an hour before cooking, too.

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:08 pm
I always buy and freeze. I buy when on sale, not when I need and menus are planned based on what is in the freezer/in the sale flyer.

mommish613

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I do a stuffed veal roast - I make my regular potato kugel and bake it with the veal. Kind of like yapchik. I plan to make it for Shabbos Chol Hamoed.

This actually sounds amazing- is this the veal with the pocket? Can you give more step my step instructions?

Chayalle

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:35 pm
mommish613 wrote:
This actually sounds amazing- is this the veal with the pocket? Can you give more step my step instructions?

Yes it's for veal with pocket.

I use a large roaster - larger than 9X13 - I think it's 10X16. I like to braise the veal for a few minutes - I just sprinkle it with a little oil, pepper, and paprika (no salt because I find veal is salty enough on its own) and put it in the oven on broil for a few minutes per side, maybe 5-8 minutes or so to get a nice crispy top.

Meanwhile I make my potato kugel for a 9X13 recipe. My standard kugel is, I use as many potatoes as fit in the pan plus a medium onion; Peel these and put into a bowl of water.

Prepare eggs: Half the amount of potatoes plus 2 is the amount of eggs (so eg if using 8 potatoes, that would be 6 eggs). Beat the eggs with 2 1/2 tsp salt (iodized) and some black pepper.

Grate the potatoes and onion, combine with the egg mixture, and add about 1/4 cup oil. I like to heat the oil in a pan and add it hot to the potato mixture. I find the kugel stays whiter this way. I also work very quickly with the potatoes from grating to oven, so it stays white.

Add the kuge mixture to the pan. I just pour it all around the veal (some stuff it into the pocket but I don't bother).

Cover tightly with foil and bake around 3 hours.

If there are any bones in the veal, they can be removed. Remove the veal and slice using a very sharp knife.

Serve sliced veal with the kugel and enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics