Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book Suggestions

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:03 am
I want to buy my daughter some Jewish chapter books for yom tov. She's in third grade and reading pretty much on level. Looking for books that are interesting, funny but also with a lesson.
Any recommendations? Can be new releases or older books, but preferably newish.
I'm buying online so it's harder to get a feel for the books than flipping through them in a bookstore.

Thank you!

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:13 am
Children's book author here - but not for this age group, so I'm afraid I can't be of help.

Books that "teach a lesson" are by definition not going to be that good. I hope you're able to find books that respect the reader and allow her to draw her own conclusions. Even young children recognize condescension.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
Children's book author here - but not for this age group, so I'm afraid I can't be of help.

Books that "teach a lesson" are by definition not going to be that good. I hope you're able to find books that respect the reader and allow her to draw her own conclusions. Even young children recognize condescension.

Right. I guess I didn't word it properly. I just meant that there are lessons to be learned, some sort of substance. Not only humorous and silly. Even simply having characters with good midos is nice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 10:35 am
The Achdus Club series maybe?

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 11:23 am

I have a daughter around that age and she prefers non jewish books. I've noticed that some books seems to wack you over the head with "lesson". I would love to know which books you recommend for any age - got toddler to preteen Wink

GOODMOM

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 2:42 pm
When I was young the Devorah Doresh mystery books were very popular. Don't know if it's still available. ( Goes back 40+ yrs ago).

ez-pass

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:04 pm
My daughter is in third grade. She recently started liking the BY times kid sisters.

https://menuchapublishers.com/.....s-1-3

Stars

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:08 pm
You might want to add more details to your title. I enjoyed the bakers dozen at that age.

simcha2

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:09 pm
Is she too young for the "kids speak" books? I don't remember what age my kids started with those.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:11 am
23 Kids under 1 Roof series
Carpool Clan
Tessler Triplets
Regards from Camp
Brookville CC
Bakers Dozen

(I'm not really sure what third grade reading level is so I apologize if these differ. My current third grader reads non fiction only and the one above him was reading kids speak in kindergarten.... So it's hard for me to gauge. These all are books some third graders have enjoyed from my library but it could be some are advanced readers.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:53 am
Thank you all for the suggestions! Based on your input, I ordered BY Times Kid Sisters 1-3, Tessler Triplets Vacation x 3, The Achdus Club 5, and Penina Farina and the Humongous Snowstorm, which came up as a suggestion based on my other choices and looked interesting. If I remember I'll update after Yom Tov on which ones she enjoyed. Also, I remember Devora Doresh when it first came out! I'm feeling old now lol

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:55 am
Oh yes the penina books are also enjoyed!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:19 pm

I know that many people have this opinion but I disagree.

I don't find it condescending when a book spells out the lesson. The author is telling the story and he or she may bring it "home" so to speak. I totally disagree that books like these are "by definition" not that good.

I didn't find it condescending as a child, and don't find it so as an adult.

I think childrens books are a wonderful way to teach timeless lessons, and it's almost a waste to buy a book that is just to tell a story.
In fact I feel that way about adult books too.
I don't want to be wasting my time. I like to be entertained but I want to close the book having gained some insight, some growth, something with a message.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:43 pm
My third grade daughter loves jelly Eli z and pj pepperjay. I think I’m going to introduce her to the BY Times kids sisters soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room