Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What does your baby wear in the car seat when it’s cold?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:21 pm
Wasn’t sure whether to put this in infants or toddlers as my baby will be one soon. I’ll be buying a new car seat soon that won’t easily click in and out of the car like his infant carseat. Last winter I used one of those cocoon type inserts for the carseat to keep him warm, and then carried/wheeled the carseat to the car. I know it’s not considered safe to wear a thick coat in a carseat, so wondering what everyone does. Do you put on a coat to walk to the car and then take it off once he’s in the car? Sounds like a lot of extra work. Or do you just buy a thick sweatshirt? And is that considered safe to wear in car seat?

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:23 pm
I take it off in the car or wrap him in a blanket, unbundle and then cover with it once he’s buckled in. It’s a pain. Any thick layer is considered unsafe as it doesn’t provide for a good fit for the buckle. I do get lazy sometimes and pack them in coat and all, but I know it’s not the safest..

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:32 pm
Take off the coat and use it as a blanket.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:39 pm
A fleece/sweatshirt. The coat becomes a blanket if needed

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 9:45 pm
A sweater and then a blanket and/of their coat as a blanket on top.

amother
Camellia

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:08 pm
I use a packable down jacket. Not saying it's the perfect way, but works for me.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:15 am
A full body fleece suit until theyre wearing shoes (then it's just too hard to get on and off) and then a fleece jacket. Keep a blanket in the car for each kid to tuck them in.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:20 am
I wrap in a thick blanket to go out to the car, and unwrap and put into the seat with a cocoon type of thing.

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:35 am
Take coat off in the car and use a blanket.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:05 am
Thanks so much for all your ideas. I found this btw in case anyone is interested. Not sure I’ll get it, but wanted to share.

https://onekid.com/collections.....-coat

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:32 am
While in a car seat, a sweater or sweatshirt. Most car seats can be covered with something safe to provide warmth while allowing safety. Does your heat take a while to kick in?

mizle10

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:41 am
Not saying it's right or wrong... but I live in Montreal where it gets bitter cold. I have never seen someone take their kids coat off in the car. These suggestions don't work when it's really freezing.

hellokitty

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:44 am
our niece uses car seat ponchos, she found a local lady who makes them with double layered fleece, or you can find them on etsy or elsewhere online.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics