Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Time release acetaminophen, do you take all 4?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:34 pm
I’m having oral surgery tomorrow so I bought those time release Tylenol to prevent pain. They come 4 in a small ziplock. Should I take all of them, or will 2 be enough? Also, why are they sold without an official packaging and only before the fasts? It seams off to me. Is it not fda approved? I never take any medication that isn’t regularly packaged so I feel weird about this.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:23 pm
It’s basically regular acetaminophen but in slow release capsules.

Before a fast yes I take all 4. I’ve never used it for before surgery though.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m having oral surgery tomorrow so I bought those time release Tylenol to prevent pain. They come 4 in a small ziplock. Should I take all of them, or will 2 be enough? Also, why are they sold without an official packaging and only before the fasts? It seams off to me. Is it not fda approved? I never take any medication that isn’t regularly packaged so I feel weird about this.

I agree it seems off (and possibly illegal). Take regular Tylenol prior to surgery. You can check with your doctor but the typical dosage is: take either 650 mg (2 regular strength) every 4 hours or 1000 mg (2 extra strength) every 6 hours.

To the person who takes four capsules at a time, you should probably check with your doctor about that. You really don't want to cause liver damage.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:19 pm
The packet that is meant for surviving the fast with least discomfort is meant to be taken with all 4 pills. They are time release. That means they are coated with different amounts of coating so that the medication is released at different times. They look exactly alike so you cannot tell which one dissolves when.

I have never heard of them being used for anything but fasting.
Why wouldn't you use regular medication after surgery as needed?

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:31 pm
I've taken 2 or 3 before a fast and was ok. But for surgery you might need something stronger.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:24 pm
If you're talking about the Toronto Kollel fasting pills, the 4 acetaminophen pills they sell work out to 960 mg, which is a bit less than 2 extra strength Tylenol (1000 mg).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:11 pm
I was referring to taking them erev Yom Kippur so that I won’t be in pain while fasting as it’ll be 3 days after surgery. Before surgery my dentist gives me some Advil
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note