Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter still loves me
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:27 pm
Ive been a nervous wreck today because my little baby cried all day. After putting my kids to bed after yelling threatening etc the guilt sank in. After a while I realized my 6 year old daughter is still up. I figured she must be troubled by all the yelling and threatening going on here. I kissed her goodnight and she goes, mommy I love you you're the best mom ever! My eyes started tearing after hearing such words. Why do I deserve such love from them when im such a nervous wreck of a mother to those innocent kids?!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:48 pm
We love and teach our children so much, but at the end of the day, they're the ones who teach us how to love Heart

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:49 pm
Kids never stop loving their parents. It’s essential to their survival.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:51 pm
Zehava wrote:

I don’t love my mother. She just broke me, she never built me up.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:07 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:

I agree, even as a young child when all my friends would all say “my mother is the best” and everyone would argue that theirs is, I just say there quietly knowing my mother was definitely not best. we were neglected by her all our life because of her own emotional issues. She definitely doesn’t love us and we didn’t ever think that she does.

RevitalizedMom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:08 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you probably loved her when you were a kid.

It’s when you became an adult and didn’t need her for survival that you stopped loving her, or realized the love wasn’t so “real.”

RevitalizedMom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:08 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
I agree, even as a young child when all my friends would all say “my mother is the best” and everyone would argue that theirs is, I just say there quietly knowing my mother was definitely not best. we were neglected by her all our life because of her own emotional issues. She definitely doesn’t love us and we didn’t ever think that she does.

Loving someone and thinking they’re the best are very different.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:10 pm
LeeR wrote:

It’s when you became an adult and didn’t need her for survival that you stopped loving her, or realized the love wasn’t so “real.”

No. But my mother sounds like she was a thousand times worse than op. But I was just responding to Zahava that not every kid loves their parents.

As a kid she beat me with her slipper, threatened my father with a knife, embarrassed me in public, never complimented me, criticized any grade under 100, never once bought me a treat or a present or a pink frilly anything, never hugged or kissed me or told me she loved me.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:13 pm
Take it as a message from Hashem, that he knows your trying even though you might mess up some days. When your feeling overwhelmed remember that moment and how much she loves you, and it will help you treat her more kindly.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:14 pm
Zehava wrote:

And since they can't hate their mother, they learn to hate themselves. Crying

RevitalizedMom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
No. But my mother sounds like she was a thousand times worse than op. But I was just responding to Zahava that not every kid loves their parents.

As a kid she beat me with her slipper, threatened my father with a knife, embarrassed me in public, never complimented me, criticized any grade under 100, never once bought me a treat or a present or a pink frilly anything, never hugged or kissed me or told me she loved me.

I’m so sorry. I hope you found healing and peace.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:17 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:

I’m really sorry. And I’m not here to invalidate your experience nor tell you how You feel.
But love can be complicated and take on different forms, as can grief and anger. And all of those can intertwine into such a mess we don’t know where one ends and the other begins.
As little kids we are biologically hardwired to love our parents because we depend on them for survival. If they abuse and neglect us we assume something must be wrong with us and we stop loving ourselves.
That doesn’t mean that love takes on the form of love notes or even a conscious feeling of affection. In situations of abuse it can take the form of grief, anger, abandonment depression, or more.
Wishing you loads of healing

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:25 pm
LeeR wrote:

No I never loved my mother either I just wished she would love me. And if she would, I'd love her back. That's what zehava means. Kids always want to love their parents.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:30 pm
Zehava wrote:
I’m really sorry. And I’m not here to invalidate your experience nor tell you how You feel.
But love can be complicated and take on different forms, as can grief and anger. And all of those can intertwine into such a mess we don’t know where one ends and the other begins.
As little kids we are biologically hardwired to love our parents because we depend on them for survival. If they abuse and neglect us we assume something must be wrong with us and we stop loving ourselves.
That doesn’t mean that love takes on the form of love notes or even a conscious feeling of affection. In situations of abuse it can take the form of grief, anger, abandonment depression, or more.
Wishing you loads of healing

If anger, shame, hatred, and wishing and praying she would die equals love, then I guess I did love her but I don’t think that love.

Luckily I have a father to love and it’s possible my young self knew he was the only parent I could safely love.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
No I never loved my mother either I just wished she would love me. And if she would, I'd love her back. That's what zehava means. Kids always want to love their parents.

Your longing to love her is your unique expression of the natural love a child has to their parent, albeit in a twisted and unnatural way, which is a result of the unnatural way your parent related to you. Wishing you healing.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:34 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Your longing to love her is your unique expression of the natural love a child has to their parent, albeit in a twisted and unnatural way, which is a result of the unnatural way your parent related to you. Wishing you healing.

I don't want to love her. I want her to love me. If she would love me then I would have loved her as a child. Now I don't want to love her. I love my children and I don't have any more love to give besides for what I give them.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
If anger, shame, hatred, and wishing and praying she would die equals love, then I guess I did love her but I don’t think that love.

Luckily I have a father to love and it’s possible my young self knew he was the only parent I could safely love.

“The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference”

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
I don't want to love her. I want her to love me. If she would love me then I would have loved her as a child. Now I don't want to love her. I love my children and I don't have any more love to give besides for what I give them.

Your feelings are perfectly valid. You didn't ask for anything outrageous when you wished for a mother's love. Heart

behappy2

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:07 pm
You are loveable. You are imperfect. I bet she knows you love her very much.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:23 pm
Zehava wrote:
“The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference”

I hate the evil men who committed the atrocities of 9/11. Does that mean I love them?

I am grateful to experience true love. I love my father. I love my husband. I love my children. I love my mother in law. I love myself.

I do not love my mother.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics