Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
YK fast 1st Trimester, Rabbi says ask your Dr., Dr says.....
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:11 am
Whats the general Psak as far as fasting on Yom Kippur, for a mid 30s pregnant women, in her 1st pregnancy?

Rabbi says ask Dr, Dr says see how you feel.

Whats the general Psak?

Do you have to feel sick to break your fast in the above situation, or do many Poskim/Drs say take sips to prevent issues?

theotherone1

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:13 am
In my experience, I was always told to fast when pregnant. Even when I was in a high risk pregnancy, it took a LOT of convincing my Rav that I should drink shiurim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:23 am
theotherone1 wrote:
In my experience, I was always told to fast when pregnant. Even when I was in a high risk pregnancy, it took a LOT of convincing my Rav that I should drink shiurim.

Do women ch"v risk miscarriages more when they fast, even if they dont go to Shul, and are relaxing?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats the general Psak as far as fasting on Yom Kippur, for a mid 30s pregnant women, in her 1st pregnancy?

Rabbi says ask Dr, Dr says see how you feel.

Whats the general Psak?

Do you have to feel sick to break your fast in the above situation, or do many Poskim/Drs say take sips to prevent issues?

The general psak is that pregnant women must fast on yom kippur.

theotherone1

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do women ch"v risk miscarriages more when they fast, even if they dont go to Shul, and are relaxing?

No. Which is why the Rabbanim don't easily give heterim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
The general psak is that pregnant women must fast on yom kippur.

Sipping water is Assur unless you get a heter from a Posek?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not likely. Mild dehydration hasn't been found to be a cause of miscarriage. It's good for pregnant women to stay well hydrated in general, but someone with no underlying issues should be able to fast safely.

Try to get off caffeine now, if you aren't already, as that has a dehydrating effect. Drink a lot in the days before Yom Kippur and take it easy.

Of course, if you feel sick, you have the option of shiurim. Feel good!

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:30 am
Really fasting is only an issue at the end when it can cause labor. Or if someone can't eat properly and is dehydrated. But a normal healthy pregnancy is usually ok. I asked many doctors jewish and non jewish I was hoping they would forbid but they all said why would a one day fast do anything to a healthy pregnancy.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Unless a person feels ill. Then yes
When pregnant I ask my rav exact guidelines. How should I feel. What should I do immediately. What should I do after.
Like he’ll say if you fell x or y drink until you feel better. Then start with shiurim. I make sure to write it down and have cup the size of shiurim set aside.

Most healthy women can fast Yom Kippur no problem.
It’s better for a dh to stay home and not go to shul and care for his wife rather then she break her fast.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

yes you cannot sip water. If you are told to do shiurim it's not sipping it's drinking an exact amount at specific intervals. I had to do it once and it was exhausting honestly.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:41 am
A normal, healthy pregnancy is not usually a reason not to fast.

Unless there is some serious level of risk, you take the day easily, don't push yourself to go to shul unless you feel up to it, and daven at home. Make sure you are well hydrated beforehand. Maybe ask your doctor what signs to be aware of, and at what point breaking your fast might be a valid option.

In my shul we there is normally one evening where the Rav and the doctor sit together to answer any questions about fasting. It makes for better communication and understanding of the issues involved. Is there any similar event where you could ask both of them at once?

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:20 am
I dont get why people make such a big deal about fasting
OP its one day youll be fine and so will the baby iyh

You wont easily get a heter to not fast on YK. JUst stay in bed all day and relax. I dont think I davened last YK. Said brachos and thats it. The ikar is to fast. Enjoy the quiet bc next year youll have a delicious baby to play with while youre fasting!! iyh iyh

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course. Fasting is fasting.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:19 am
Because I black out when I’m pregnant my Rav says to eat a ahuir when I feel like I’m going to faint. Last time I had 1 shuir of water and one pretzel. My dh was scarred. But literally after that one pretzel I was able to fast the rest of the day.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:31 am
I was told not to go to Shul, not even for Kol Nidrei (even though I'd just eaten) - that the most important thing was to fast, and to save my energy for that. Stay in bed, get up for the Amidahs, that was it!

Hatzlocho and bshaa tova Smile

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:34 am
BH early in pregnancy. I can’t ‘just take it easy’ since I have little kids at home. YK is going to be right before the six week mark where there is potential for me to start throwing up. I’ve had the experience once where I threw up and didn’t drink after and I ended up on the bathroom floor gagging and dehydrated. I guess I’ll ask a Rav but what do I do? I wouldn’t prevent DH from going to shul since I ah w no idea how I’ll feel beforehand…

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

According to a study from bikur cholim hospital yes there is a bigger chance of miscarriage

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:26 am
If the rabbi is already deferring to the dr. why would you second-guess the dr.?

SYA

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 5:40 am
From all my pregnancies BH, the only one I was told to do shiurim (1 oz every 9 minutes) was when I almost landed in the er for dehydration the day before YK. The doctor gave me zofran but it takes a few days to really feel the difference.
The Rov also told by husband to stay home so that I stay in bed and can otherwise fast, versus him go to shul and I feel worse and will then need to eat. I was given guidelines of when I should eat.

Sb1234

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, totally.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur