Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
My housekeeper comes only on Thursdays but it’s Yom Kippur

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:57 pm
I have so much for her do do since she didn’t come for two weeks. Can she come on Thursday Yom Kippur.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:59 pm
I’d say to ask your rav because there is probably things she shouldn’t be doing especially if you’re home while she’s there.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have so much for her do do since she didn’t come for two weeks. Can she come on Thursday Yom Kippur.

My cleaning lady comes on Wednesdays and we were told it's not l'chatchila to have her on yom tov. She's not allowed to do melacha and you're not allowed to tell her what to do. So I'm without a cleaning lady basically till after yom yov. Yom Kippur is even worse because it's like shabbos, not like yom tov.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:15 pm
I have a cleaning lady who comes one morning a week and if it's a chag we tell her not to come. I know some people who have their cleaning lady come but not to do the heavy duty cleaning, just washing dishes and sweeping and folding laundry or tidying up that are allowed on Yom Tov. Well, either that or childcare so the moms can go to shul.

My in laws have a housekeeper who comes 3-4 times a week and they pay her weekly so they do have her come on chaggim but they don't tell her what to do. She has her usual tasks that she does over the course of the week and she can choose when to do them. My MIL just requests that she not do noisy or obvious things like vacuum when everyone is home.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:53 pm
Me too. I hope I can find a temp for next week, sun or mon erev yt.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:06 pm
My cleaning lady has come on shabbos, chag, Yom Kippur…..we were told that as long as WE don’t ask her to do anything that we can’t do (dishes, laundry, etc) she can come, and she can do whatever she wants.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:32 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
My cleaning lady has come on shabbos, chag, Yom Kippur…..we were told that as long as WE don’t ask her to do anything that we can’t do (dishes, laundry, etc) she can come, and she can do whatever she wants.

I dont think she is allowed to do laundry or run the dishwasher, vacuum etc.

I was told that a non jew is allowed to do whatever YOU are allowed to do, just she can do it her own way, even if it involves a melacha.

So since YOU are allowed to wash dishes, (though you may not use the sponge and hot water), she can also wash dishes. (And She can use a sponge and hot water. )

On Yom tov she can peel, cut veggies, sweep etc. I like to cook on Yom tov (not YK, but on the other Yomom Tovim) so for me it's a help to have a cleaning lady on YT to help with kitchen prep.

On yom kipper there is not much to do so I would cancel or ask her of she can possibly switch her schedule for this week.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:57 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
I dont think she is allowed to do laundry or run the dishwasher, vacuum etc.

I was told that a non jew is allowed to do whatever YOU are allowed to do, just she can do it her own way, even if it involves a melacha.

So since YOU are allowed to wash dishes, (though you may not use the sponge and hot water), she can also wash dishes. (And She can use a sponge and hot water. )

On Yom tov she can peel, cut veggies, sweep etc. I like to cook on Yom tov (not YK, but on the other Yomom Tovim) so for me it's a help to have a cleaning lady on YT to help with kitchen prep.

On yom kipper there is not much to do so I would cancel or ask her of she can possibly switch her schedule for this week.

I was told she can do whatever SHE wants. I was also told that if I have something specific that I need her to do, I have to ask before shabbos.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:19 am
I always have my cleaning lady come over yt. It’s needed then more than ever! I used to have one on shabbos for years. We were told she can do anything that we are allowed to do, as another poster mentioned, but she can do it however she wants. So our rav said she can even run the dishwasher or vacuum as well since she is choosing to clean the dishes and the carpet that way. The only thing she can’t do is laundry and ironing since there is no halachically permissible way to do that on shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note