Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Quit working?

dolly

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:22 pm
wanted your opinions...
I started working 3 weeks ago,my boss nausiates me ,the place is dirty,its hot with no air (although he told me he'd get it fixed it hasn't happened yet).etc..
I feel like I can't work another day.
is it irresponsible of me to quit so quickly?

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:24 pm
could u find another job b4 you quit?

dolly

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:30 pm
no, actually I don't want to.

1stimer

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:37 pm
How much notice do you have to give him? What agreement did you come to about quitting?

queen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:53 pm
usually the excepted rule is to give 2 weeks notice.
I'd suggest finishing the first month, and if it still is bothering you, then go ahead and mention to boss that you don't find it working out for you.

good luck!
(maybe bring a desk fan from home to get you through the next couple weeks)

happymom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:13 am
I think its irresponsible to quit right away in normal conditions... HOWEVER the way it seems to me from what you wrote NO ONE should be working there. I would tell your boos NOW that the conditions make it every hard for you to work... and unless its fixed up within the week you are very sorry but you will have to leave. That is sticking up for your own dignity!

lucky

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 8:11 am
Did you know the condition of the place when you took the job? If you saw the place before, you probably should give 2 weeks notice. If you did not see the place or were not told the condition of the place, it is fair to say that either the conditions improve or you leave.

dolly

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 2:44 pm
no, I didn't realize how bad the conditions
were when I came in for my interview.
and,
at the interview we agreed to see how it works out,
that we'd give it a try.

happymom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 4:20 pm
If thats the case dolly, then of course it isnt irresponsible to quit! Thats what you guys discussed.... so you should in my opinion.

buba123

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 11:57 am
I totally agree with you happymom.

What happened at the end dolly?

queenie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 6:26 pm
No matter what you agreed on you should always give two weeks notice. How long did you agree to give it a try for? Is there only one boss? Is there a supervisor or manager to speak to? A human resources person to speak to? Is this a small place? Perhaps you are even in charge of seeing that the place is cleaned up. is this one of your responsibilities?

I would speak to some higher up about the working conditions, it's one of the reasons I left my last job. In fact, it's often the reason that people leave.

You should never feel guilty about quiting. A decent boss should make a workplace comfortable and not make workers feel guilty.

dolly

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 9:47 pm
my boss is a lawyer and has his own place so it's a "one man show" there's no higher authority to talk to.
unwisely,nothing was spoken about clearly..we just agreed to see how it worked out. I feel thats its not working out , I dropped him 2 hints a soon as I realized but he seems to be ignoring me. I think he really wants me to stay.
truthfully I can't even think of being there for another two weeks.
I want to leave this week.

any suggestions?

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 9:53 pm
Dolly what other suggestions are you looking for? You said you cant imajine staying there longer.... so it seems like YOU really want to quit. I think you should do what will make you happy. Guys sometimes don't get hints.... there is nothing wrong with saying : "This isn't working out for me"... if there are any problems then just remind him you said you'd see how it worked out! Dont worry about what he will think etc... its is YOUR life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics