Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why are Flatbush BY Elementary schools off this Friday???
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:33 pm
Can someone please tell me why the Flatbush Bais Yaakov elementary schools are closed this Friday?
It's not erev yom tov
It's not erev erev yom tov
Or erev, erev, erev yom tov
Or isru chag
Or Anything.
Just another reason to give a day off....just because?
Because 8 days of school for the first month of school was perhaps way too much for them?
Please do not tell me that the teachers need to cook and get ready for yom tov. The whole world is functioning as if it's a normal Friday, they should be included. This is getting so out of hand, I am not getting it.

Please don't tell me it doesn't pay to open up school for 3 hours. It definitely does.

I just don't get it.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:34 pm
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:36 pm
That's not true. Elementary school always has in between

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:37 pm
Everyone is off this Friday. It's a day after yom kippur and erev yom tov. School usually starts late a day after yom kippur. It doesn't make sense to start late on a Friday.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:40 pm
Probably because so many students would be absent due to YT travel.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:40 pm
*The day after yk begins an hour later. School starts @10 Friday dismissal is at 11:30 or 12.
*Many ppl are going away for yk already.
*No transportation
*Just because.
* rebbis need to build their sukka.
* other communities are also doing this, don’t want to be different.

You choose.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.

This is not completely accurate. The high school I work in will be open. I don’t know about elementary schools.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:43 pm
My boys have school but chederim usually push in as many days as possible.
But honestly they start an hour late so they’re barely in school for two hours.

I can imagine why girls schools don’t have.

amother
Tulip

I don't have anything to add except to chime in and say that I am totally and completely with you OP!!
Signed,
A mother of a large brood who will be working on Friday (oh, and Monday too Smile).

amother
DarkGray

Schools in Queens are open.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:45 pm
I am a morah in a preschool and we have work friday and monday. It's for the working mothers because they dont have off, so we dont either. But I gotta tell you its extremely annoying because many many mothers are not working on erev yom tov (I guess they have off or they take off). The way I feel is that if we arent going by frum school calendar we should go by public school calendar and have off labor day and all those days that the mothers are off

Queen18

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:45 pm
I'm with the OP. The boys manage to have school.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:48 pm
It's ridiculous. My boys have school, girls don't. You want parents to work to pay tuition, but then you want to give off every possible opportunity. Somehow, it is worth it for them to open only the Friday after sukkot, so they can have off on Thursday isru chag.

And for those morahs who will say when are we supposed to prepare for yom tov...well guess what? I work full day on erev yom tov too and still manage. You can survive working half day Friday when Yom Tov isn't till Monday night.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:49 pm

Silver Spring, MD - we do have school Friday after Yom Kippur

#OOT

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:51 pm
My boys have school but between starting an hour late and dismissal at 11 they will be in the school building for about 10-15 minutes. It doesn’t make any sense to me but it is what it is.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
It's ridiculous. My boys have school, girls don't. You want parents to work to pay tuition, but then you want to give off every possible opportunity. Somehow, it is worth it for them to open only the Friday after sukkot, so they can have off on Thursday isru chag.

And for those morahs who will say when are we supposed to prepare for yom tov...well guess what? I work full day on erev yom tov too and still manage. You can survive working half day Friday when Yom Tov isn't till Monday night.

The rationale I've always heard is that girls are expected to be home helping their mothers prepare. Isn't that why they get off earlier than the boys before Pesach?
*Of course that harkens back to the time years ago when women made most stuff from scratch and were mostly not working outside the home. Back then, I guess it made sense.)

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm with you OP. All the way from Toms River.

And while we're at it, why is there no school for girls the Friday after Isru Chag?

Oh-I know! It's because us working parents didn't have it hard enough this year with the crazy startup schedule that left us with almost four weeks of no full work days between the boys and girls' camp/school calendar, and the 8+ vacation days we had to use this month for the Yomim Tovim.

I guess the administrators figured working parents were all having such a breezy time this year so hey! Why not add two more days with the kids home driving themselves up the wall while we try to earn a living?

Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
The rationale I've always heard is that girls are expected to be home helping their mothers prepare. Isn't that why they get off earlier than the boys before Pesach?
*Of course that harkens back to the time years ago when women made most stuff from scratch and were mostly not working outside the home. Back then, I guess it made sense.)

Maybe that's the rationale for high school girls, but definitely not for elementary school girls. And I'm working, so my daughter is definitely not helping me at that time. It is a huge hassle and expense finding childcare for all these days.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's not true. Elementary school always has in between

Good question. Though I stopped questioning as it just adds to my frustration. I try to look at the school calendar in the summer and prepare myself for all the extra days off otherwise I'd just go bananas.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 4:24 pm
Bh my kids have school I think it’s Ridiculous not to
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children