Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah -Divorced, no children

tryin

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:13 pm
I'm 38, divorced, no kids and thinking about making aliyah. I'm middle of the road frum and unsure about possible neighborhoods. Has anyone made aliyah when single? Any advice?

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:20 pm
I don't know what you mean by middle of the road frum. We have divorced/widowed/never married olim in our dati leumi yishuv who seem to be doing very well.

It helps to have some friends or family nearby though, just to help you make the transition.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:41 pm
Loads of people do.

Can you describe what middle of the rod frum means? Then I can try to suggest neighborhoods and cities

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:05 pm
I made aliyah while I was still single. I didn't have any family here, so my priority in choosing a neighbourhood was that there would be people there whom I felt a connection with, and on whom I could rely in case of need. As it happened, I stayed there for quite a while, but once I felt more settled I could have moved if I'd wanted.

Do you speak Hebrew? And how easily transferable are your professional skills?

I have friends who made aliyah post divorce. It gives you an opportunity for a fresh start, but if you're coming just to run away from your past it won't work. You need to make aliyah because you want to be here, and be prepared to invest and build a life here.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:37 pm
I made aliyah single, in my 30s.
I lived in Katamon. There are many, many singles of all religious stripes there. Never married, divorced, widowed.
Happy to advise further over PM if you'd like.

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:41 pm
Hatzlacha! What's important to you where you live?

Maybe someone here can suggest a good spot Smile

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:47 pm
Sounds like a great idea, if you don’t have family and a support system here you’d do great in a place with a vibrant singles scene like katamon/moshava/nachlaot in Yerushalayim there are tons of English-speaking singles there to connect with.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 12:45 am
I made aliya as a single with no family in Israel, and IMO it would be easier as a single than with kids at least. A husband could make it easier or harder, depending.

Tell us what is important. Do you like cities or prefer rural? What kind of job do you want? Anything particularly appealing to you such as being near the sea, or living in a religious only moshav?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:13 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Sounds like a great idea, if you don’t have family and a support system here you’d do great in a place with a vibrant singles scene like katamon/moshava/nachlaot in Yerushalayim there are tons of English-speaking singles there to connect with.

Was going to suggest those areas as well.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:39 am
I made Aliyah in my early thirties as a single. The key is finding the right area to live in. What you need is an open minded, frum but non-judgmental Anglo and olim heavy area, ideally with many other singles. Posters above have suggested some areas in Jerusalem that fit the description. There are other areas around the country that could fit as well. Personally, I started out in Ra'anana and it worked for me.
Not a good fit would be communities that are very static, set in their ways and conformist and where everyone above the age of 20 is married and with lots of children. I've seen such neighborhoods when I was single and they gave me the feeling of being an alien from a different planet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions