Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Non bleach cleaner for kitchen sink that no damage pipe?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:33 am
Plumber keeps changing the pipes under the sink every so often because they get damaged from bleach and Comet. What do you use to clean disinfect sink especially after raw meat is in it, that won't damage the pipes?

meme6

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:43 am
Ammonia you can try. But me and my friends use comet or soft scrub with bleach and don’t have this issue.

teachkids

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:45 am
Fantastik spray.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:55 am
I have a porclain kitchen sink (which I hate and plan to replace.)

I clean it with regular dish soap to disinfect, and I use magic eraser to keep it clean and sparkly.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:59 am
If your sink is stainless steel, bar keepers friend is the best cleaner.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:06 am
mha3484 wrote:
If your sink is stainless steel, bar keepers friend is the best cleaner.

this. Its also called bon ami sometimes.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:28 am
Soft scrub oxi

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:35 am
When a drain gets clogged, do you use harsh chemicals to break up the clog?

Next time, pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, and then pour a cup or two of cheap white vinegar in after it. Wait a minute, and then flush it through with a whole pot of boiling water.

As soon as you do that, get a plunger and work it up and down until the water runs down easily. Run the faucet on hot while you are plunging for best results.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:23 pm
I have a porcelain sink or ceramic? it's not stainless steel.
By ammonia, do you mean windex?
Is fantastic a disinfectant?
Soft scrub has bleach in it.
Is soap and water enough to disinfect from raw meat?
I don't use harsh chemicals to run down the drain. That can really damage the pipes. But now he said even bleach and comet can do that.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:00 pm
Are you sure you are understanding the plumber's advice correctly because household cleansers used for a sink aren't strong enough to damage metal pipes. A substance that was that abrasive would not be safe to use for general cleaning without having very strong warnings like the kind that are used for Drano or Easy Off with lye.

As has been suggested, are you pouring large amounts of chemicals down the sink to clear them or for other reasons - like if you clean an oven and use a lye based product. Are you filling the sink with liquid bleach?

Generally Bar Keepers Friend is recommended because it doesn't scratch like abrasive cleaners do but that has nothing to do with the pipes but the surface of the sink itself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:06 pm
Amarante wrote:
Are you sure you are understanding the plumber's advice correctly because household cleansers used for a sink aren't strong enough to damage metal pipes. A substance that was that abrasive would not be safe to use for general cleaning without having very strong warnings like the kind that are used for Drano or Easy Off with lye.

As has been suggested, are you pouring large amounts of chemicals down the sink to clear them or for other reasons - like if you clean an oven and use a lye based product. Are you filling the sink with liquid bleach?

Generally Bar Keepers Friend is recommended because it doesn't scratch like abrasive cleaners do but that has nothing to do with the pipes but the surface of the sink itself.
It's not the sink that got damaged, it's the pipe that drains under the sink, every few years we have to change it.

This past time he said bleach and comet are causing tiny holes? and then the pipe leaks under the sink and then we have to replace that draining pipe. I'm not pouring large amounts, only a little on the sink itself to disinfect but then it gets washed down the drain. Could he be wrong? What else could cause the corrosion on the pipe that drains from the sink underneath?

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not the sink that got damaged, it's the pipe that drains under the sink, every few years we have to change it.

This past time he said bleach and comet are causing tiny holes? and then the pipe leaks under the sink and then we have to replace that draining pipe. I'm not pouring large amounts, only a little on the sink itself to disinfect but then it gets washed down the drain. Could he be wrong? What else could cause the corrosion on the pipe that drains from the sink underneath?

I understand what you are saying in term of the pipes that are leaking. I added the parenthetical about sinks because generally Barkeepers Friends and Soft Soap are recommended because of damage to the sink and not because Comet or other abrasive cleaners are damaging to the pipes.

I have never had this kind of issue with pipes but I was told by my father (who did all of the plumbing in our house Very Happy) not to use Drano or pour caustic substances down any drain or the toilet - it's actually even worse in the toilet because of what it can do to the gizmos in the tank.

I have never had this kind of issue with normal household cleaners going down the drain. For example, I would sometimes pour the bucket with dirty water and floor cleaner down the drain. Or I would fill up a basin with soap and some amount of bleach if I were washing white stuff.

What kind of pipes are under the sink? As I recall there can be chemical reactions if different metals are connected. I am sorry I don't remember which ones but they can develop pin holes. Also if you have a water softener, it might cause some damage.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
I understand what you are saying in term of the pipes that are leaking. I added the parenthetical about sinks because generally Barkeepers Friends and Soft Soap are recommended because of damage to the sink and not because Comet or other abrasive cleaners are damaging to the pipes.

I have never had this kind of issue with pipes but I was told by my father (who did all of the plumbing in our house Very Happy) not to use Drano or pour caustic substances down any drain or the toilet - it's actually even worse in the toilet because of what it can do to the gizmos in the tank.

I have never had this kind of issue with normal household cleaners going down the drain. For example, I would sometimes pour the bucket with dirty water and floor cleaner down the drain. Or I would fill up a basin with soap and some amount of bleach if I were washing white stuff.

What kind of pipes are under the sink? As I recall there can be chemical reactions if different metals are connected. I am sorry I don't remember which ones but they can develop pin holes. Also if you have a water softener, it might cause some damage.
thanks. I'm not sure what type of metal pipe. What's a water softener? I live in NYC, the water is soft, but I don't use drano or others, that is very bad for pipes. All I put is some bleach, comet, maybe soft scrub just to clean (don't think this is a disinfectant?) Maybe he's not installing proper pipe drains? It looks like most people's sink drain pipes are able to handle it.

teachkids

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is fantastic a disinfectant?
S.

Yes

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:13 pm
Honestly if your sink leaks again, use another plumber because it doesn't seem as if you are using your sink for anything that everyone else doesn't so maybe either his workmanship or what he is using for the pipes is the problem.

I had very old pipes and they didn't have this issue and I used the same kind of stuff you are using for normal household cleaning.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks. I'm not sure what type of metal pipe. What's a water softener? I live in NYC, the water is soft, but I don't use drano or others, that is very bad for pipes. All I put is some bleach, comet, maybe soft scrub just to clean (don't think this is a disinfectant?) Maybe he's not installing proper pipe drains? It looks like most people's sink drain pipes are able to handle it.

People usually don’t replace pipes every few years at all it’s more like 20 years so yes something sounds off

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:11 pm
I'm surprised he did't recomend sometning to use instead
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics