Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Who builds your sukka?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:22 am
Growing up it was a family affair and now we also all do it together.
I have such great memories doing it with my parents and siblings.

What about you?

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:23 am
We all pitch in.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:24 am
The males to the heavy shlepping and building work, the females help with the decorating!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:24 am
Same.

Some of us bringing up the boards and schach from the basement, some up on the deck connectioning them with screws, everyone pitches in.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:34 am
My husband and son do the building and I do the decorations with all my kids.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:37 am
DH builds the succah with our teenager while I keep the little kids out of the way. Then we all decorate together.

Zehava

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:42 am
Workers

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:44 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
The males to the heavy shlepping and building work, the females help with the decorating!

I didn't have any brothers growing up, so the girls helped with everything. Except that my father wasn't very good at taking help, so we stood around and watched him, or held up a beam or maybe had the honor of passing him a piece of dowling, while he did most of the work. (He was an excellent carpenter, and our sukkah was all pinned together with dowling rods, with no metal used in the construction.)

It was a communal activity, with my father doing most of it. After he finished we were allowed to admire and then decorate it - mostly my job, since my sisters weren't artistic.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:44 am
My teenage boys

Before they were big enough it was dh

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:55 am
This is triggering.

I don’t have a lot of brothers so we girls were always expected to chip in. My parents were terrible at it and there was a lot of tension and stress always. A lot of work on the girls which wasn’t fair (we had to help cook clean and watch the littles as well).

When my older sister got married my parents expected the poor guy to build it (he had his own parents to attend to). Every year since it’s another fight and pressure off who will be the good son in law this year.

This year I asked my parents who is doing it (bh I live far away) and she said my newest married brother in law. I said wow so nice of him to offer and she flew off the handle- why shouldn’t he? He’s coming here to eat… blah blah blah.

So happy to be home.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:23 am
Our building super.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:23 am
It’s a family effort but the majority of it is done by DH and sometimes the boys if they are not working or in school.
I work on making sure it’s clean, help DH if he asks , and guide the decorating process. Otherwise I try to stay out of it.
As a teen, after my parents divorced , I would build the Succah with my mother every year.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:30 am
Dh did it himself until my boys were old enough to help. We have a heavy wood succah so it a big job. All the kids help with decorations. I don’t help with either Im usually busy cooking for the million yontif meals we eat in tishrei and keeping the younger kids away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics