Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Supper for kids Yom Kippur evening (mincha/neila time)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:47 pm
Ideas for what to serve.
I’d like to prep it before the fast and serve cold.
Not planning to leave blech on.

They will have sandwiches for lunch probably so not sure what to make for supper?

Cold pizza?
Cold noodles
Crackers and cheese?

happy chick

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:50 pm
Macaroni w cottage cheese, ketchup, or tuna. If your kids are really particular about cold macaroni, you can always run it under hot water (if you have an urn on).
Serve w some fresh veggies, like baby carrots or cherry tomatoes ( so there's no slicing/dicing) w some store bought dip.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:51 pm
Chicken nuggets cooked in advance and brought to room temperature

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:53 pm
I always like to make a cholent- they have something hot and filling.
As far as cold ideas, deli , any type of sandwiches, noodles and ketchup, bagels .

mom!

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:54 pm
Deli sandwiches
Yogurt
Matzah and peanut butter
Rice cakes and cheese

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 7:55 pm
My kid eats everything cold so our plan is cold pizza for lunch and cold chicken nuggets for dinner. Alternatively you can make shnitzel ahead and serve cold. Or deli sandwiches. Or just a yogurt and cereal if that flies in your house. Think what you serve shabbos lunch/shalosh shudes.

amother
Azure

notshanarishona wrote:
I always like to make a cholent- they have something hot and filling.
As far as cold ideas, deli , any type of sandwiches, noodles and ketchup, bagels .

I also always make a cholent. It's the one food all my kids will enjoy + it's hot and filling and easy to serve.

Chayalle

I used to put up a split pea soup in my crockpot. My kids ate it hot with the yellow osem croutons. My neighbor's kids at it too. Along with Challah, deli, and hot filling bowl of soup, they were done.

keym

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:11 pm
I serve a cholent for lunch, and usually warm some schnitzel on the crockpot with it. They eat really well
So supper I'll serve cold cuts and crackers with sliced vegetables.
I also try to make sure I have containers with cut up melon and plain cut veggies. My kids will eat it if it's easily available and this way they don't get too hungry and crazy.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:21 pm
I always prepared egg salad and tuna salad on Erev Yom Tov with rolls and cut up veggies. This way the non fasters can help themselves and they also prepare sandwiches for the siblings that can’t help themselves yet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:52 pm
thank you all!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:07 pm
I wasn’t sure you can use a crock pot on YK. I thought I remembered being taught YK is different regarding heating then other yon tovs. Does anyone know for sure?

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:08 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
I wasn’t sure you can use a crock pot on YK. I thought I remembered being taught YK is different regarding heating then other yon tovs. Does anyone know for sure?

Same halachos of shabbos (minus the eating obviously, but if you have to eat, you make kiddush).

keym

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:09 pm

Yom Kippur is like Shabbos.
You can't cook on Yom Kippur.
However you can prepare the crockpot and set it before Yom Kippur like you would do for a regular Shabbos.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:09 pm

You need to put it up before Yom Kippur like you do on Shabbos. You can not cook on Yom Kippur like you can on Yom Tov.

wife101

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:10 pm

It's the same like shabbos. You can put it up in advance but not on YK.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:12 pm
Thanks!! Sorry to rerail the thread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur