Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why are Flatbush BY Elementary schools off this Friday???
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:02 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
The rationale I've always heard is that girls are expected to be home helping their mothers prepare. Isn't that why they get off earlier than the boys before Pesach?
*Of course that harkens back to the time years ago when women made most stuff from scratch and were mostly not working outside the home. Back then, I guess it made sense.)

They must have missed the memo that girls nowadays should not be helping their parents because if they do, they'll become parentified and won't be able to be good parents to their own kids.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:03 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
My son in lakewood has school Fri regular start time and even Sunday till 12:30 the girls last day is tomorrow and everyone resumes Friday after sukkos girls high school and both girls and boys elementary school bh bh

Do all the boys schools in Lakewood have school this Friday?
I might be the only one who is happy for my girls to have off. My daughters are always so tired and I know they will probably sleep till 10-11am. I’m so happy for them not to have to get up early and rush to school and probably have to take a quiz or something. My girls are new fasters. They need Friday to recouperate. Maybe I would feel different if they were very little and I had to take off from work because they’re off. I’m not sure about my younger boys but I know the older ones come home after spending Yom Kippur in yeshiva and they are officially off for quite a while.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:05 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
They must have missed the memo that girls nowadays should not be helping their parents because if they do, they'll become parentified and won't be able to be good parents to their own kids.

I think it’s the teachers who need to prepare for Yom Tov but they want to sound like they’re being nice and giving the girls time off to help.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:09 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Do all the boys schools in Lakewood have school this Friday?
I might be the only one who is happy for my girls to have off. My daughters are always so tired and I know they will probably sleep till 10-11am. I’m so happy for them not to have to get up early and rush to school and probably have to take a quiz or something. My girls are new fasters. They need Friday to recouperate. Maybe I would feel different if they were very little and I had to take off from work because they’re off. I’m not sure about my younger boys but I know the older ones come home after spending Yom Kippur in yeshiva and they are officially off for quite a while.

I don't think many take issue with the older children (fasting age and above) having off. They don't need childcare and steady supervision as do the younger ones.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:22 pm
My girls have school Friday in Lakewood as far as I know. Are most girls schools in Lakewood off? They never ever star an hour late after yom tov

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
He has 15 minutes of school every Friday?

My boys are thankfully starting regular time and having close to 4 hours of school. Yes, the kids need every day of school they can get this month, no matter how hard it may be for the teachers.

No, all the classes are starting late the day after Yom Kippur.
Transportation for the younger kids would be so late, all that would be left this week is 15 minutes of class time.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:00 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
No, all the classes are starting late the day after Yom Kippur.
Transportation for the younger kids would be so late, all that would be left this week is 15 minutes of class time.

Do you mean after davening and recess? They probably won’t have recess on Friday. The older grades will probably daven at home and the younger grades will probably make davening a drop shorter.
Also, they’ll probably bring home their succos things on Friday.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:27 am
PSA the bybp calendar does not say there is no school on Friday.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:44 am
bsy wrote:
PSA the bybp calendar does not say there is no school on Friday.

I just checked it's hanging on my kitchen wall. It says Sep 17-30/fri-thurs/sukkos/no school

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
I just checked it's hanging on my kitchen wall. It says Sep 17-30/fri-thurs/sukkos/no school

I heard otherwise from someone in the school. Maybe call them.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:27 am
bsy wrote:
I heard otherwise from someone in the school. Maybe call them.

Probably elementary has and hs doesn’t

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Probably elementary has and hs doesn’t

The elementary and high school are two completely separate schools with no affiliation.I have nothing to do with the high school.

The elementary calendar says no school but I guess I need to call to double check.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
The elementary and high school are two completely separate schools with no affiliation.I have nothing to do with the high school.

The elementary calendar says no school but I guess I need to call to double check.

you're right, they don't have.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I am a morah in a preschool and we have work friday and monday. It's for the working mothers because they dont have off, so we dont either. But I gotta tell you its extremely annoying because many many mothers are not working on erev yom tov (I guess they have off or they take off). The way I feel is that if we arent going by frum school calendar we should go by public school calendar and have off labor day and all those days that the mothers are off

In that case you cant take off midwinter vacation, chanuka vacation and every other erev yuntif when you're off. if you're going according to the non Jewish calendar then you do it all the way ! It's a chutzpa that teachers complain when the rest of the world works every single day and they're not even off for two months during the summer .

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:48 pm
I am a morah in a preschool and we have work friday and monday. It's for the working mothers because they dont have off, so we dont either. But I gotta tell you its extremely annoying because many many mothers are not working on erev yom tov (I guess they have off or they take off). The way I feel is that if we arent going by frum school calendar we should go by public school calendar and have off labor day and all those days that the mothers are off

Do you want to work on chol hamoed? Because you most likely would have to if you went by the public school calendar.

Also, does your school give off isru chag, purim/shushan purim, and half day on fast days? If they do then you are going by a frum school calendar. If you went by a public school calendar you would not have any of those days off.

And not all moms have off labor day/legal holidays.

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:02 pm
Schools by law must have 180 days. They fulfill this in any number of ways, but maybe the teachers didn't want to teach that day? Maybe the school is having a professional development day instead of teaching.

Schools are not babysitting services they have to fulfill that number of days and that's it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
Do you want to work on chol hamoed? Because you most likely would have to if you went by the public school calendar.

Also, does your school give off isru chag, purim/shushan purim, and half day on fast days? If they do then you are going by a frum school calendar. If you went by a public school calendar you would not have any of those days off.

And not all moms have off labor day/legal holidays.

No we do not have off isru chag, shushan purim, or fast days. The only times we are off are actual days of yom tov and chol hamoad.
It's a learning crowd and the fathers can watch them, I dont feel so bad.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:10 pm

I work at public school. That means working Fridays till 3:00...even short Fridays, working erev yom tov, chol hamoed, isru chag, and losing money when I take off for yomim tovim. We also begin before the yeshivas start in the beginning of the year and end at least a week later. We begin every morning at 8. Public school does not have off more than you...try the schedule and see how much you enjoy it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
In that case you cant take off midwinter vacation, chanuka vacation and every other erev yuntif when you're off. if you're going according to the non Jewish calendar then you do it all the way ! It's a chutzpa that teachers complain when the rest of the world works every single day and they're not even off for two months during the summer .

You completely misunderstood. The place I work in is open 12 months. We dont have any midwinter or chanukah breaks. We literally only have off yom tov and chol hamoad. Yes there is work on erev yom tov and isru chag. Every daycare/preschool program where I live is like that to my knowledge.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:34 pm
You completely misunderstood. The place I work in is open 12 months. We dont have any midwinter or chanukah breaks. We literally only have off yom tov and chol hamoad. Yes there is work on erev yom tov and isru chag. Every daycare/preschool program where I live is like that to my knowledge.

Honestly that does sound like a pretty rough schedule. I have heard of daycares being open 12 months a year, but not preschool. Preschools usually run according to a traditional 10 month school year.

Do you have paid time off? I would get seriously burned out if I had that little vacation
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children