Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Meat Lasagna with vegan cheese

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:23 pm
Has anyone ever tried this?
I've been watching cooking shows and got it in my head to make meat lasagna .
Is there such a thing as vegan cheese with a ricotta/cottage cheese texture?
Has anyone ever tried it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:44 pm
The meat lasagna from here with the parve bechamel sauce is good.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:47 pm
I would sooner try it with vegan 'meat' than vegan cheese. I've never tried it but I've tried the beyond burger/impossible burger meat and it's very close to the real thing.

kineret

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:51 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I would sooner try it with vegan 'meat' than vegan cheese. I've never tried it but I've tried the beyond burger/impossible burger meat and it's very close to the real thing.

I agree! I’ve had meat lasagna with vegan cheese and cheese lasagna with fake meat, the the latter was so so much better. I’m not crazy about fake cheese

alef12

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:55 pm
I make meat lasagna all the time without any cheese at all. It's delicious
I use sautéed spinach and onions in some of the layers and meat, seasoned and mixed with sautéed onions in the others.
Now I'm getting hungry LOL

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:02 pm
I make a meat lasagna with a vegan bechamel sauce that is delicious. My experience with tofutti was that it made the lasagna super greasy. I have tried some decent vegan cheese but I am not sure if you can get it in Israel.

yamz

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:10 pm
I’ve never personally tried any, but recipes for tofu or cashew ricotta abound on the internet. I have heard that cashew ricotta is supposed to be pretty good, but again, I don’t speak from personal experience. If you want to try your hand at making some, it shouldn’t be too difficult, just allow some time to soak the cashews if you do.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:11 pm
I’ve done it with a homemade fake cheese sauce made out of cashews. It was pretty good, but we liked it better without the sauce

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:13 pm
I would make it with vegan meat because the meat in a lasagna really doesn’t add much to the taste whereas good ricotta and fresh mozzarella make a huge difference. It’s the sauce and the cheese 😀 amd vegan cheese is terrible in my opinion.

Also vegan sausage is really excellent if you want to opt for that.

Vegan on a cheeseburger is different since good meat for a burger is what elevates it and regular cheeseburgers are often made with terrible Kraft type of American cheese anyway so it is not as if the taste of the cheese is important.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:16 pm
Thanks so much for your answers!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen