Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How much do kapparos cost?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:18 pm
How much are chickens where you live?
Here they are $23 per chicken.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:52 pm
$5 per person, maximum $30 family. At the chicken plant near me. (I use money, I'm just answering your question from the flyer sent out)

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:56 pm
We have paid $5 (at a poultry plant), $15 (in town), and $18 (out of town). But prices may have gone up since then. It is a mitzvah expense.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:56 pm
Wow. I thought I remembered kapparos being about 5 dollars when I lived in NY.

Where I live there is only one place to get chickens for kapparos and they charge 23 per chicken.

We aren't poor but my husband always says to get only one male for all the boys and one female for me and the girls. (He gets his own male because he goes the morning of YK).
Am I the only one who does this sharing thing? Even when I am pregnant I only do one female for all of us. Rolling Eyes

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Where I live there is only one place to get chickens for kapparos and they charge 23 per chicken.

We aren't poor but my husband always says to get only one male for all the boys and one female for me and the girls. (He gets his own male because he goes the morning of YK).
Am I the only one who does this sharing thing? Even when I am pregnant I only do one female for all of us. Rolling Eyes

When I moved OOT and still did with a chicken, the community (who wants to do with a chicken) does 1 female and 1 male. Everyone gathers around--men on one side and women on another side--one man stands on a chair and waves it over the men, another man stands on a chair and wave it over the women...pregnant women stand near the middle of both.

For personal reasons, I do with money now, but that's still how those in my community who prefer to use a chicken do it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:23 pm
some placers are subsidized

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We always did the sharing thing. When I was growing up we did that and we did that when I was married , but I think I did a male and female when I was pregnant . I stopped with chickens for kapparos after a chicken made all over me before I even had a chance to do kapparos and I was a new kimpeturin. I burst out crying and said never again . Since then when always do kapparos with money.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 6:07 pm
We did one male for all the boys and one female for all the girls. $15 each chicken.

Stars

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 6:08 pm
$10 each

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 6:59 pm
$18 in lakewood

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:46 pm
I think they're $23 in my neighborhood too.
We don't use chickens anymore due to the way they are handled.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:49 pm
$8.50 per chicken. In Lakewood. We did one chicken for all the girls and me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur