Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Yeshivas sending boys collecting

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:22 pm
My 7 year old came home with the third campaign in a year. They send enticing flyers with prizes boys can earn if they collect.
I am torn.
Till now we had him call relatives but it’s not fair to do that so many times. We pay tuition and give donations when they call us and don’t really want to give $50-100 for every campaign, we also have other places to give to. And there’s the Chinese auction etc…
I don’t like the idea of letting him knock on neighborhood doors. Anyway, he won’t make that much money- just a few dollars, not enough to get a good prize.
Most of these prizes can be bought on the cheap on Amazon but then I’m teaching him that tzedakah isn’t that important.

Thoughts?

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:46 pm
My sons' Yeshiva doesn't let the boys fundraise. The Menahel believes that boys should be focused on learning. B"H.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:53 pm
Don’t play the game. He will forget about it in a minute. Tell him he has to work on a prize chart instead, and give him checks for good behavior, helping a sibling, etc.

I refuse to fundraise for the same organization that reaches out fifty times a year.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:53 pm
We have a discussion with the children whenever this comes up. We b’shitta don’t let them collect for prizes but explain that we give a lot of tzedakah through other ways. They are now totally on board with us.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:06 pm
I do not let my kids go door to door but I do allow them to call my parents and siblings and ask them for a donation. That being said, in my children's School it's a once a year campaign.
Honestly what bothers me the most, is that I have a bunch of boys come at different times from the same school. I also never have cash or coins in my house so I always feel bad I have nothing to give them. (We save all our coins for another project, and I very rarely keep cash with me)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics