Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
HELP- Brooklyn Yeshiva Busing when we don't live local

bumpkin2

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 11:37 am
I'm IYH sending my kids to the Cheder (in Brooklyn, on Elmwood) and we may need to move out of the busing zone (for a job). It would only be an extra 15 minutes driving out of the route but still...Wondering if it's possible to pay the yeshiva to get a bus out to where we may be moving to pick up 2 kids and how to go about it, what to expect price wise, etc? TYIA!

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 11:45 am
bumpkin2 wrote:
I'm IYH sending my kids to the Cheder (in Brooklyn, on Elmwood) and we may need to move out of the busing zone (for a job). It would only be an extra 15 minutes driving out of the route but still...Wondering if it's possible to pay the yeshiva to get a bus out to where we may be moving to pick up 2 kids and how to go about it, what to expect price wise, etc? TYIA!

If they do the busing through OPT (ie not their own private buses) and your kids are pre1a+, you should still qualify for a bus if you live within 5 miles of the school. A bus route can be no longer than 5 mi.

If this isn't the case, you can ask the school, or try to organize a van with other parents. Ime, one school I considered was willing to send a bus an extra 2 miles for my kid for no cost. For other schools, the rate has been between $2850 and $4500 for private transportation outside of opt busing.

bumpkin2

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:18 pm
nicole81 wrote:
If they do the busing through OPT (ie not their own private buses) and your kids are pre1a+, you should still qualify for a bus if you live within 5 miles of the school. A bus route can be no longer than 5 mi.

If this isn't the case, you can ask the school, or try to organize a van with other parents. Ime, one school I considered was willing to send a bus an extra 2 miles for my kid for no cost. For other schools, the rate has been between $2850 and $4500 for private transportation outside of opt busing.

Do you know if kids in nursery qualify for this, too?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:34 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:

OPT is only for Pre1A and up. The city only pays for bussing for the age when children in public school start attending school (which is the year before first grade; we call it Pre1A, they call it kindergarten)

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:35 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:

Cheder nursery kids go on the regular bus. Call the office to find out about your situation

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:44 pm
bsy wrote:
Cheder nursery kids go on the regular bus. Call the office to find out about your situation

Does the school charge for transportation for nursery?

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Does the school charge for transportation for nursery?

No

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:48 pm
bsy wrote:
No

That's really nice of them

My boys are in torah vdaas and they charge for bussing for nursery and kindergarten because they're not getting funding from the city for them

bobeli

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
That's really nice of them

My boys are in torah vdaas and they charge for bussing for nursery and kindergarten because they're not getting funding from the city for them

If they have a separate route for the young ones they need to charge, in big schools more so
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics