Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time do you have your first & or second seudah?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:13 pm
& does everyone have 2 seudas on erev Yom Kippur. ?

My Dh is giving me a hard time about it but our Rav gave a shir & mentioned details about 2 seudas

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:17 pm
I think my in-laws do two full meals. Personally we do one full meal closer to yom tov and we wash for breakfast or lunch as our first meal....

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:25 pm
We have the 1st meal at 11:30-12 and the 2nd about 45 minutes before the zman.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:27 pm
Never heard of 2 seudahs till ima mother.

BH we work. No ones home to have 2 seudahs. We eat lunch at our desks and dinner about 1-2 hours before the fast starts.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:48 pm
I grew up with 2 meals. One about lunch time and one an hour and a half b4 The fast. Its brought down to eat fish by the first meal. My husband grew up eating tuna bagels and I got used to that as our first meal. Some kids like cream cheese better and I don't care. The second meal is challa, soup, chicken potatoes etc. Melon water

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
Never heard of 2 seudahs till ima mother.

BH we work. No ones home to have 2 seudahs. We eat lunch at our desks and dinner about 1-2 hours before the fast starts.

Bh I work for a Jewish company and we are actually closed erev Yom Kippur. My husband works Friday sched and we will have a full seuda at 1:00. Fish Chala dips chicken soup with kreplevh tximmes stuffed chicken potato kugel and apple crisp salads
Mostly the same for second meal minus the fish. simple chicken from the chicken soup. Closer to fast we eat watermelon and grapes.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:51 pm
We do two meals.
First one around 12:30
Second one about an hour and half before the zman.
My husband leaves to shul about 3o min before the zman.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:55 pm
I think it's a chassidish minhag to have 2 seudas on erev Yom Kippur but I could be wrong.
We have one main meal, later in the day.

Eta: it's definitely not a halacha to have 2 meals, and if your DH doesn't want it, there's no reason to push it and cause shalom bayis issues.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I think it's a chassidish minhag to have 2 seudas on erev Yom Kippur but I could be wrong.

It’s too late but I wish someone would start a poll. This is what I thought too.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:02 am
I don’t think it’s chassidish to have two meals. I’m as far from chassidish as you can get and I grew up with us unofficially having a first meal because my parents said we’re supposed to have two meals. Unofficially meaning there was food and you ate on your own c everyone was running around.

Tomorrow DH and I are iyH having bagels for lunch as our first meal; OP, it doesn’t have to be crazy.
Our second meal, closer to the fast, will be one pan chicken and potatoes/sweet potatoes, store bought challah (didn’t have a chance to make), and minestrone soup and apple cranberry crumble (both from the freezer!)

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:

Eta: it's definitely not a halacha to have 2 meals, and if your DH doesn't want it, there's no reason to push it and cause shalom bayis issues.

It's not a chassidish minhag. Many non chassidish Instagram food bloggers were posting their menus for 2 meals erev.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:07 am
I grew up with one meal but my husband's family does two. It is not just chassidishe people that make two meals.

I just divide my seudah in two.

First one is lunch time. We have challah, fish and salad.

Second one is an early supper. We have challah, melon, soup and chicken. Honey cake for dessert.

We also have a seudah moetzai Yom Kippur.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:07 am
I certainly grew up knowing and learning that it’s a mitzvah to eat on erev Yk, but never heard the 2 meal thing. (RW MO)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur