Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
BT Kol Nidre help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:14 pm
How do I go to shul if kol nidre begins at Candlelighting? Can I light early to be able to make it to shul on time for kol nidre?

Thank you

bs00

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:16 pm
I would think so. But ask your rav to confirm.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I go to shul if kol nidre begins at Candlelighting? Can I light early to be able to make it to shul on time for kol nidre?

Thank you

Yes you can light early. (There is such a thing as too early but I assume you mean 20-30 minutes early. )
Like shabbos, you can bring in Yom Kipper early.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:19 pm
Are they starting kol nidrei early or tefilas zaka early? You can always light earlier but the fast in NY doesn't start till a few minutes after candle lighting. Why would shul start kol nidrei so early?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:27 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Are they starting kol nidrei early or tefilas zaka early? You can always light earlier but the fast in NY doesn't start till a few minutes after candle lighting. Why would shul start kol nidrei so early?

In our shul kol nidrei is also at candle lighting time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:05 pm
If you plan to carry a machzor to shul, be careful about taking in YK early. We don't carry on YK, like Shabbos.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:14 pm
You can say out loud that you’re not mekabel yomtov until shkia, then light your candles and head to shul.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:17 pm
In my shul, Kol Nidrei is 45 minutes after candlelighting.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:17 pm
In our shul Kol Nidrei started at 6:50.
I got there at 6:58 and basically missed it 😐
I wish I lit early. It got so hectic cleaning up from the seuda, taking my pills, benching and lighting on time…

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:28 pm
Sorry OP, I thought kol nidrei starts later. But Kol Nidrei actually started 6:50 by us. Candle lighting was 6:46. Why do shuls start so early well before the fast starts and don't some say tefilas zaka before how is everyone ready on time?
ETA I found out why the start kol nidrei early because they want to do hataras nedarim before yom kipur actually starts. Otherwise shul has a break between kol nidrei and maariv.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:17 am
Thank you so much for your responses everyone! So happy to be able to ask you all my random q’s Smile

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:18 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Sorry OP, I thought kol nidrei starts later. But Kol Nidrei actually started 6:50 by us. Candle lighting was 6:46. Why do shuls start so early well before the fast starts and don't some say tefilas zaka before how is everyone ready on time?
ETA I found out why the start kol nidrei early because they want to do hataras nedarim before yom kipur actually starts. Otherwise shul has a break between kol nidrei and maariv.

Very interesting. Thank you!!

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:22 am
If your city has an erev you’re allowed to carry same rules as Shabbos

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 9:26 am
You light early and make a tnai that you're not accepting YT until you get to shul.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics