Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you make cholent for the kids
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:52 am
some years I do. sometimes if YK is close enough to the previous shabos I'll put the leftovers back on the hotplate.

this year, with shabos being the day after YK I'm skipping it entirely. It's too much cholent for one week.

I made some latkes and theyll eat leftovers. Anything that doesn't smell goes.

rosesandlilies

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:53 am
I do. It's one of the foods they eat best plus very easy to keep warm on hot plate

SYA

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:56 am
I make cholent for my kids.
They have challah and cholent and it keeps them full for quite some time so I'm not running around feeding them all afternoon

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 5:59 am
yiddishmom wrote:
Serving my toddler the leftovers from the seuda hamefskes.

I made double, because I also want to serve it after the fast (we have a minhag to eat a y"t seuda after the fast).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doubles up on her Seuda Hamafsekes food to serve for break the fast. I honestly don't love the Fleishings thing but not do I despise it.

My kids will eat bagged chicken nuggets that I will bake before YK. They will eat it at room temperature. Maybe french fries as well. Lunch will be yogurt, sandwiches exc, maybe cold cuts if anyone wants and will eat it. And lots of snacks for during the day.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 7:49 am
We learned you aren't supposed to have hot food cooking in your house on YK so no

4g01o

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 7:51 am
chocolate moose wrote:
We learned you aren't supposed to have hot food cooking in your house on YK so no

I wonder what the reason behind this is. Its yom tov for kids so why would it be wrong?

Yom tov for all of us Smile

lkwdgirl

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 7:52 am
I used to when my kids were younger and it was a huge success and made them so happy. It was a lifesaver

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 7:54 am
lkwdgirl wrote:
I used to when my kids were younger and it was a huge success and made them so happy. It was a lifesaver

Me too. highly recommend if you have young kids (who like cholent).

I don't particularly like hot dog (or any) cholent but my kids, when younger, LOVED it--so I made hot dog cholent for YK for them.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 8:00 am
Fab4 wrote:
I wonder what the reason behind this is. Its yom tov for kids so why would it be wrong?

Yom tov for all of us Smile

Halachos on YK are like Shabbos, not YT. So, things are more strict when it comes to heating food up etc. I'm not an expert by any means, so if you aren't sure, AYLOR.
BTW I didn't fully realize this till a few years ago. I just assumed for example, I could run hot water in the sink to wash my hands (even if I was only washing to my knuckles).
I guess because people don't really think of this as a major cooking or food prep YT, these sorts of halachos are not really covered in school or women's halacha classes et.
And when I was growing up my mother just had cold food/sandwiches for the kids to eat so it probably never occurred to her to mention anything about hot food prep, or for me to ask.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 8:30 am
We also eat a proper seuda for the breaking of the fast. I serve all the same foods as the pre fast meal.

I also thought I heard about not keeping hot food over YK, but I asked my Rav who said it's fine. .but I see other posters heard of thos as well so I dodnt make it up.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:11 pm
I like when they have atleast one hot meal a day so ive been doing cholent all the years but this year I put up a yapchik in a crockpot. Gonna smell heaven but ill deal knowing the kids have somewhat of a meal and my dh lost his smell in covid so he wont be affected.

Shuly

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:47 am
I made a pot of noodles before the fast and they had a choice of that or bagels, rolls and spreads.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:53 am
I knew one woman who not only made chulent for her children, but she then put it back on the platta and she and her husband ate it to break the fast. Making chulent for the children makes a lot of sense. I always found it hard to comprehend how the adults could eat such a heavy meal on an empty stomach.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
Halachos on YK are like Shabbos, not YT. So, things are more strict when it comes to heating food up etc. I'm not an expert by any means, so if you aren't sure, AYLOR.
BTW I didn't fully realize this till a few years ago. I just assumed for example, I could run hot water in the sink to wash my hands (even if I was only washing to my knuckles).
I guess because people don't really think of this as a major cooking or food prep YT, these sorts of halachos are not really covered in school or women's halacha classes et.
And when I was growing up my mother just had cold food/sandwiches for the kids to eat so it probably never occurred to her to mention anything about hot food prep, or for me to ask.

A gut kvittel to all!

Right, that's why we can put up a cholent before yom kippur, like we do before shabbos.

I don't just bc my younger ones that aren't fasting don't love cholent.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 5:29 pm
I made a soup in the mini crockpot.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 5:51 pm
I did. I’m not pregnant, so the smell doesn’t bother me. Food service when I’m not feeling well with minimal effort.

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:34 pm
I would not want to smell chulent on a fast day, would make me nauseous. Anyway that would be 2 chulent meals in 3 days with yk on Thurs. My kids ate noodles, challah, lox, yogurt, fruit, pastries, cheese, snacks, cereal, etc.
Why wouldnt you be able to have a crock pot on halachically, if prepared before yk?

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:42 pm
I wouldn’t tolerate the smell and I’m not sure they would eat it. They had a delicious meal of turkey roll, mini rolls, salad, crackers and dip, and apple cider. Sprinkle Cake for dessert!

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:53 pm
I made Greunkern (I guess you could call it the Yekke/German version of chulent) in the crockpot. I also had shnitzel and rice that I had made and warmed up on top of the crockpot.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 7:04 pm
Leftover kugels from Shabbos
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur