Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
New to adhd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:29 pm
So my son very likely has adhd. I’ve suspected it for awhile and now his school called me with same concern.
Where do I start? Pediatrician? OT? PT? Therapy? Psychiatrist? How do I get a diagnosis?
I was going to go to a clinic but I’m divorced and my ex isn’t signing that he allows kids to go to therapy. So ideally I need things I can do on my own (meds I can’t without his signature, but maybe OT I could?)
I’ve stopped bringing sugar into the house and have been giving him fish oil and it’s made a difference but obviously I need more professional guidance.
Where to start?

torquoise

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:41 pm
Oh my, sounds like you're in a hard place.
You must get someone who can help you - a case worker, a therapist, someone who knows these systems.
There are a thousand Jewish organizations who can help you. I think there's one called Sister to Sister for divorced women.... Hashem should help you get support and anything else you need.

Anyway, to answer your question - we got a diagnosis from a psychiatric evaluation. This was done in a therapy clinic. But I think your pediatrician might also be able to diagnose.
Unfortunately, without meds or therapy, I don't know that anything else will really work to help your son with his ADHD. OT and PT are great, and they might be good on the side, but they're not going to help him calm down and focus just by themselves.
Hatzlacha rabba.

behappy2

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:49 pm
I have experience. Please pm me.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:04 pm
If you did fish oil and liked what you saw you may want to consider a program like this https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....r=8-1

flmommy

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:39 pm
Pediatrician can give you forms for teachers and you to fill out and if it gets scored as ADHD will prescribe medication. No need for a psycho educational Eval if it’s clear what issue is. Don’t waste your time and energy.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:51 pm
It’s rough. You will get there. ❤️❤️❤️

I signed up for this course: https://handsonapproaches.com/.....ing/. The organizers are amazing. They are neurodevelopmental ots that bring in top speakers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics