Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you get a blessing from your father erev yk

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:56 pm
It's very sad for me, that at the age of 40 (I'm not the youngest in my family), I no longer have a father to do birchas habanim on erev yk. I know Hashem is our father in heaven, looking out for all of us and no doubt in my mind my father is looking down and watching out for me and my family from on high, but still....

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:01 pm
Im sorry.

My father is a kohen. When I called him today he benched me with Birches Kohanim. My father said that its really a brocha from hashem, and he is just the Shaliach.

You should have a General Chasima tova and our Father should bench us all.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:03 pm
Hugs! my father benches my sister in law.
(On the phone, she asked him to even though her father also bentches her)
Maybe ask your father in law?

A gut yohr!

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:05 pm
I don’t either - but his Bracha doesn’t mean much to me as his presence just gives me anxiety. I made the choice not to overextend myself on a hectic day and make myself crazy to get to him .

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:13 pm
The last time my father benched me I was 17, my little brother was 9 months old. He died that year.

Bh I have a grandfather who still benches me 20 years later.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
The last time my father benched me I was 17, my little brother was 9 months old. He died that year.

Bh I have a grandfather who still benches me 20 years later.

I lost my father at 19 , had no grandparents long before..
Hashem shoukd comfort you and grant you a gemar ch tova

love vegetables

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:34 pm
Yes my parents bench us and the kids erev yom kipur

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 1:11 pm
I lost my father when I was 6. Bh I have an amazing mother who bentches me every week over the phone.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 3:17 pm
It’s been my father benched erev Yom Kippur. I am very happy that he is in Israel now, so I have gotten my first brocha from him erev Y”K in about 15 years. It was over the phone since they are in bidud, but still very special. To top it off my Abba is a kohen.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 3:54 pm
My father is not Jewish 🤷‍♀️

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 4:24 pm
What about your mother? Can she do the bracha instead? Nothing halachically wrng with that. I gave my daughter the bracha last night.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 7:29 pm
Not since my parents separated, didn't want any contact.
B"H my husband bentches our children

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 8:43 pm
Nope. My father hates me.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's very sad for me, that at the age of 40 (I'm not the youngest in my family), I no longer have a father to do birchas habanim on erev yk. I know Hashem is our father in heaven, looking out for all of us and no doubt in my mind my father is looking down and watching out for me and my family from on high, but still....

This was the first year that I didn’t get a Bracha from my father, and it was super duper hard. My father in law also gives brachos every year, and I had my husband tell him that I wasn’t in an emotional place for it this year. I hope he wasn’t insulted, especially since I was fine getting a Bracha from my mother in law.

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 9:08 pm
My father doesn't bentch married daughters.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 9:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What about your mother? Can she do the bracha instead? Nothing halachically wrng with that. I gave my daughter the bracha last night.

My mother never gave us a Bracha growing up, not for Friday night and not for Yom Kippur. She asked this year, being that we wouldn’t be getting brachos, and she was told that since she never did, she shouldn’t start now.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:30 pm
I never had a father. technically I guess I do have one but he never did anything for me or siblings and we have no relationship. My dh benches the kids and does so every friday night

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:36 pm
He never did. I grew up frei and ignorant of the existence of pre-YK child bentsching. But both of my in-laws do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur