Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it a frum thing…
Previous  1  2

Good Friend

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:13 pm
I find this funny. We don't have any kosher cheese where I live (I live out of town of out town) but I make ricotta cheese from our milk. It's very easy. I don't even know how to make cottage cheese so it's funny that that's apparently the easier one to get. We just had lasagna for dinner tonight with homemade ricotta.

gr82no

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:11 am
Good Friend wrote:
I find this funny. We don't have any kosher cheese where I live (I live out of town of out town) but I make ricotta cheese from our milk. It's very easy. I don't even know how to make cottage cheese so it's funny that that's apparently the easier one to get. We just had lasagna for dinner tonight with homemade ricotta.

How do you make ricotta cheese? I make it sometimes but I want a better recipe

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah I wondered about the CY availability thing. My non jewish coworkers were HORRIFIED when I told them I use cottage cheese in lasagna and had never heard of it which is why I thought maybe it was a frum thing.

ye im a BT and never heard of cottage cheese in pastas before
its a frum thing imho...

writinggirl

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 12:46 am
I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta to save on calories. I use J and J whipped cottage cheese which is much richer than regular cottage cheese and will usually add an egg too for extra taste.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 1:30 am
I’m sure you can get ricotta in Israel but it’s hard to find and likely much more expensive.

Cottage cheese is an Israeli staple and is found in any supermarket for very cheap.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 1:39 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I’m sure you can get ricotta in Israel but it’s hard to find and likely much more expensive.

Cottage cheese is an Israeli staple and is found in any supermarket for very cheap.

Ricotta is not so hard to find here (not as easy as ubiquitous cottage cheese, but not so uncommon). Many makolets and supermarkets carry it. I believe the popular "Gad" brand makes ricotta.

I have never made lasagne with cottage cheese, but it sounds like it would be too runny and salty.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:15 am
DrMom wrote:
Ricotta is not so hard to find here (not as easy as ubiquitous cottage cheese, but not so uncommon). Many makolets and supermarkets carry it. I believe the popular "Gad" brand makes ricotta.

I have never made lasagne with cottage cheese, but it sounds like it would be too runny and salty.

Depends where you live - if I want ricotta I'd have to go to the next neighborhood. None of the supermarkets in mine sell it I think. The array of cheeses is sorely lacking in my neighborhood.

And even if they'll carry it it'll be 10 shekels more than the standard price.

I like salty, and mine is never runny. It's a different taste I guess.

Good Friend

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 2:24 am
gr82no wrote:
How do you make ricotta cheese? I make it sometimes but I want a better recipe

Bring a gallon of milk with a pinch of salt to a boil. Stir in about half a cup of lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes. Strain using a cheesecloth until it reaches desired consistency.

gr82no

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:10 am
Good Friend wrote:
Bring a gallon of milk with a pinch of salt to a boil. Stir in about half a cup of lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes. Strain using a cheesecloth until it reaches desired consistency.

K thanks that’s pretty much what I do but it gets dry I guess that’s how it’s meant to be. I’m only familiar with cottage cheese which is more liquid

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 3:21 am
gr82no wrote:
K thanks that’s pretty much what I do but it gets dry I guess that’s how it’s meant to be. I’m only familiar with cottage cheese which is more liquid

Are you using full fat milk?

gr82no

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:35 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
Are you using full fat milk?

Idk TMI I’m using the blue milk

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:52 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
It's my dh thing
But he was raised poor
Never heard of riccotta

Same. I grew up in a very frugal family, but I never knew it until many years later. My mom always used cottage cheese, and I never heard of ricotta until I was much older. I guess it's for "fancy people". LOL

When I started keeping CY in America, OOT, you could only get ricotta at certain times of the year, when factories made a special run under supervision. It was never a year round thing.

My mom didn't keep kosher, and she mixed cottage cheese with cheap hamburger meat a lot in order to get extra protein at a low cost. (Her meatloaf was pretty gross, though. She also added quick oats. Blech!)

Just by playing around with recipes, I came up with a tasty "meat" lasagna. Mix cottage cheese with parve "beef crumbles" half and half. Add a few eggs and some parmesan cheese, and use that in the layers with lots of extra shredded layers of cheese, some roasted veggies, and tomato sauce alternating with the noodles. It reminds me a lot of what I had growing up.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 4:56 am
Good Friend wrote:

Basically, search Google for "paneer" for a good recipe. It's a staple in all Indian households.

If you like your cheese extra salty and can't afford lots of parmesan, I substitute some of the cheese with bulgarit (it's like feta, but much softer and creamier.)

One of these days, I have GOT to finish my cookbook for homesick BTs and converts! I'm trying to come up with a title. "Taste of Treif" just doesn't seem to be a best seller in the frum market. Anyone have any good ideas?

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 11:29 am
happy chick wrote:
You're so old? Wink
I was weight-conscious by the age of three and a half. Giving up sour cream was no sacrifice. Ice cream is a different story.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 1:59 pm
DrMom wrote:

When I first started cooking, in my teens, I was already in Israel.
It was the early eighties and there was no ricotta here then, among many food items that were not available like: broccoli, American style peanut butter, celery (stalks), cream cheese and many other cheeses, etc.
There was cottage cheese, 9% and 5%.
Those were the options for lasagna and that is how it was made here.
I never thought to switch to ricotta once it became available because it is more expensive, less widely available and I felt that for a dish that doesn't really showcase the cheese it wasn't worth it.
You add an egg to the cottage cheese and that makes it less runny.
Interestingly, I discovered recently (during Corona Wink ) that freezing cottage cheese makes it smoother and less runny and thus probably closer to the texture of ricotta.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna?

I thought so, since I never heard of it until imamother. It sounds like it’s CY and EY thing.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah I wondered about the CY availability thing. My non jewish coworkers were HORRIFIED when I told them I use cottage cheese in lasagna and had never heard of it which is why I thought maybe it was a frum thing.

They were probably equally horrified that you don’t put in meat either.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
I thought so, since I never heard of it until imamother. It sounds like it’s CY and EY thing.

Interesting because I do it and don’t keep CY/Live in EY

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
They were probably equally horrified that you don’t put in meat either.

Haha I didn’t mention that but they know I can’t eat meat with dairy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen