Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Did I do the right thing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:01 pm
I'm feeling badly about the fast, pregnant in first trimester with toddler, was feeling very weak around 3, hot and cold chills so I did shiurim a few times. I feel so badly now about it, like idk maybe I could've just stuck it out, it was the main thing to do! I never fast well. The rav had said I could do shiurim so as not to pass out or vomit, but before that happens. How am I to know when that is
I tried lying down most of the day and my husband helped for part of it

trixx

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:04 pm
This is why you ask a rav. They define what's halacha for you. Clearly you needed the shiurim or you wouldn't have done it.
Vchai bahem, you're not supposed to kill yourself for a Mitzvah.
Get rid of the guilt.

StrongMomma

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:07 pm
No, you did the right thing, do not worry about it. You asked the rabbi, you did what he said, and that’s doing your best.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm feeling badly about the fast, pregnant in first trimester with toddler, was feeling very weak around 3, hot and cold chills so I did shiurim a few times. I feel so badly now about it, like idk maybe I could've just stuck it out, it was the main thing to do! I never fast well. The rav had said I could do shiurim so as not to pass out or vomit, but before that happens. How am I to know when that is

Please don't feel guilty. The main thing is for you and baby to stay healthy. 3 is a long time to wait it out from, even half an hour is a long time when in that condition and can be risky

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:53 pm
thank you for reassurances. I guess I feel guilty bec when I spoke to the rav beforehand he said if I feel dizzy or like I might throw up, basically I shouldn't be at the point of passing out or vomiting from dehydration - thing is I wasn't feeling either, but I was kinda nauseous, and felt very very weak. I just felt like I couldn't handle. I hope it's ok. I did it a few times then stopped, and felt horrible toward the end of the fast

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:06 pm
You should check with him, to settle this in your mind.

Chances are you did it right. I think if you wait too long, you might have either ended up needing more than a shiur at a time to save yourself, or in the ER with an IV.

It sounds like you did your best. And asked Hashem for mechila in case that wasn't good enough.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you for reassurances. I guess I feel guilty bec when I spoke to the rav beforehand he said if I feel dizzy or like I might throw up, basically I shouldn't be at the point of passing out or vomiting from dehydration - thing is I wasn't feeling either, but I was kinda nauseous, and felt very very weak. I just felt like I couldn't handle. I hope it's ok. I did it a few times then stopped, and felt horrible toward the end of the fast

Once a person is at the point where they're about to vomit from dehydration in can be hard to hold down even shiurim so it would seem to me that being kinda nauseous and very weak would be the right time to take shiurim. Maybe husband watching toddler all day could help prevent getting to that point but once you were in that situation you did what you had to do; though maybe you should have continued shiurim if you felt horrible later. Sorry you had such a hard day hope you're recovering well!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:50 am
Op if it helps DH also asked a rav because I’m pregnant and he also advised shiurim and his wording was “if you are weak you should...”. So you didn’t do the wrong thing. The woman knows her body best and knows when to take if she gets that heter

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You did the right thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur