Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children argue at the table
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:42 pm
My kids are ages ds17 dd 15 dd12 dd12

My son has asd and at every meal he will either do something or say something to one of the twins and she will get upset and leave the table.

Lately its every sudah. He will call them babies, or smack one of them.
As soon as he comes home though the door hes already yelling at them or swearing at them.

I've told him several times no yelling or bad words in the house and to not talk touch or look at the girls.

What can I do that he will stop bothering them.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:54 pm
I don’t know, but it must be very hard. Sending love.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 9:19 pm
Does he has a therapist who works with him on his ASD? He might not see it this way but he's abusing your daughters, physically and emotionally, and they shouldn't be exposed to this, even worse in their own home.

I think you need to engage outside help for this. I'd probably say that even if he was nt because this is unacceptable and 17yos are old enough to know. A therapist he already knows would be the first place to start.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:31 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Does he has a therapist who works with him on his ASD? He might not see it this way but he's abusing your daughters, physically and emotionally, and they shouldn't be exposed to this, even worse in their own home.

I think you need to engage outside help for this. I'd probably say that even if he was nt because this is unacceptable and 17yos are old enough to know. A therapist he already knows would be the first place to start.

He has a psychologist and I'm working on getting him a therapist

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:49 am
Don’t leave him unsupervised with them. He shouldn’t sit anywhere near them at the table so that he can’t touch them or have them in his view.

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:03 am
Consider putting him in a group home

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has a psychologist and I'm working on getting him a therapist

Have you spoken to the psychologist about this? What did they say?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:27 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Consider putting him in a group home

Why the h would I consider that? He is high functioning, goes to yeshiva and high school. Has friends. And yes his psychologist knows about his behaviour. Besides, I'm not in Israel or usa where this is an option for a Yiddisha kid

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why the h would I consider that? He is high functioning, goes to yeshiva and high school. Has friends. And yes his psychologist knows about his behaviour. Besides, I'm not in Israel or usa where this is an option for a Yiddisha kid

How high functioning can he be, if he's abusing your other children on a regular basis? Violence in the home is not OK, no matter what the diagnosis is. Your other kids deserve a safe place to live.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:07 am
I have a son with ASD and ADHD and he is often instigating fights at the table.
His are more verbal fights ie teasing, comparing. He doesn't have the best table manners but he isn't intentionally hurting anyone. I had spent a lot of time focusing on him until I realized that his behavior was really upsetting the other kids and started focusing on the others.
I have 3 kids plus a baby. All but the baby are in therapy. Their therapist helps them navigate this complicated and upsetting reality of having a high needs yet difficult ASD brother.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:18 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I have a son with ASD and ADHD and he is often instigating fights at the table.
His are more verbal fights ie teasing, comparing. He doesn't have the best table manners but he isn't intentionally hurting anyone. I had spent a lot of time focusing on him until I realized that his behavior was really upsetting the other kids and started focusing on the others.
I have 3 kids plus a baby. All but the baby are in therapy. Their therapist helps them navigate this complicated and upsetting reality of having a high needs yet difficult ASD brother.

Thank you

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What did the psychologist say about this? Until you find a therapist, is there anyone he would listen to immediately to get him to stop his behavior? A therapist will help him get to the root and resolve his own issues but you need a band-aid in the meantime to protect your girls.

You said he doesn't listen to you. Is there a DH in the picture? Would he listen to him? Is there anyone else whom he'd listen to if they told him that it is absolutely 100% non-negotiable not permitted to hit, swear, or name-call his sisters, not even one more time?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 4:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids are ages ds17 dd 15 dd12 dd12

My son has asd and at every meal he will either do something or say something to one of the twins and she will get upset and leave the table.

Lately its every sudah. He will call them babies, or smack one of them.
As soon as he comes home though the door hes already yelling at them or swearing at them.

I've told him several times no yelling or bad words in the house and to not talk touch or look at the girls.

What can I do that he will stop bothering them.

There is a HUGE difference between arguing and physical violence. I'm concerned that by the title of this thread, you are downplaying the seriousness of the situation.

Just because your girls are doing their best to cope, doesn't mean that they are OK. It just means that they are trying to hide their pain.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 4:32 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
What did the psychologist say about this? Until you find a therapist, is there anyone he would listen to immediately to get him to stop his behavior? A therapist will help him get to the root and resolve his own issues but you need a band-aid in the meantime to protect your girls.

You said he doesn't listen to you. Is there a DH in the picture? Would he listen to him? Is there anyone else whom he'd listen to if they told him that it is absolutely 100% non-negotiable not permitted to hit, swear, or name-call his sisters, not even one more time?

He does listen to me and his father. Also his rebbi.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 4:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
There is a HUGE difference between arguing and physical violence. I'm concerned that by the title of this thread, you are downplaying the seriousness of the situation.

Just because your girls are doing their best to cope, doesn't mean that they are OK. It just means that they are trying to hide their pain.

Thank you, I never really thought of that angle. I'll look into it.

amother
Iris

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 4:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also a mom of an ASD high functioning 16 year old son.

What about letting him have some alone time in his room?
My son is youngest in my family & used to resent his nephews/nieces & get angry.
He was gently told by us that if things get too heated & too overwhelming & stimulating for him, he needs to go to his room & just RELAX there. Have things in his room that he enjoys. For mine it’s his keyboard & books.
Group home?? Advice here on ima mother must be taken with a whole box of salt!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:29 am
amother [ Iris ] wrote:

Group home?? Advice here on ima mother must be taken with a whole box of salt!

Group homes are a viable option for a violent child who is endangering the other people in the house. A 17yo is probably about the size of an adult man, and has the potential to seriously harm someone.

Many group homes are staffed with loving people who really care for the residents. I know a couple of people who have transferred their older male autistic children to group homes, and the boys thrive in the consistency. Everything is catered to their needs and sensitivities, which is not always possible in their own home. They come home for Shabbat and Chagim, whenever possible.

Please do not shame anyone who has had to make such a difficult decision. IYH you should never know.

amother
Iris

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:34 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Group homes are a viable option for a violent child who is endangering the other people in the house. A 17yo is probably about the size of an adult man, and has the potential to seriously harm someone.

Many group homes are staffed with loving people who really care for the residents. I know a couple of people who have transferred their older male autistic children to group homes, and the boys thrive in the consistency. Everything is catered to their needs and sensitivities, which is not always possible in their own home. They come home for Shabbat and Chagim, whenever possible.

Please do not shame anyone who has had to make such a difficult decision. IYH you should never know.

I am aware of details of group home & I’m not shaming anyone
But suggesting a group home right off the top is a little too premature.
As stated in my post I am a mom of a child on the spectrum so I’m not as sheltered as you may think

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:36 am
I agree with the giving him down time thing. I would set up a behavioral system, where he earns for good behavior and your dd's earn for reacting appropriately in the way you determine (protecting themselves without name calling, for example). You can also look at the situation and see if there are changes you can make, like seating, that may help.

Also, check in with the school and ask your dh to pay attention at shul re how he reacts in crowded/stimulating environments. You may benefit from a break between shul and the meal, if he's maxed out after shul. Also, is he medicated at all? If this occurs in other situations, I find Intuniv to be a really good choice for regulation, with few to no side effects.

hodeez

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:36 am
What consequences does he get for abusing his sisters? A polite "please stop" isn't going to cut it

Last edited by hodeez on Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics