Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do I need a top of the line therapist or can I use a clinic

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:56 pm
For social anxiety in a 7 yr old and suspected hyperactive adhd in a 4 year old?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:27 pm
My dd did not have success with any top of the line therapists. Neither did she have success with newly-minted therapists.
I think it's a matter of chemistry..
Just be on the lookout for the quality of attunement , empathy, understanding from the therapist to you and your child.
Studies have shown that these are the qualities that are most helpful in therapy.
Also, don't underestimate the amazing work of hands-on therapy such as biodynamic craniosacral.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
My dd did not have success with any top of the line therapists. Neither did she have success with newly-minted therapists.
Just be on the lookout for the quality of attunement , empathy, understanding from the therapist to you and your child.
Studies have shown that these are the qualities that are most helpful in therapy.
Also, don't underestimate the amazing work of hands-on therapy such as biodynamic craniosacral.

This is helpful. Thanks.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:50 pm
I was happy to use a clinic for myself. For my son with significant social issues I found that using a private therapist who could go to his school and observe him at recess was super super helpful. A therapist in a clinic would not be able to do that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:08 am
mha3484 wrote:
I was happy to use a clinic for myself. For my son with significant social issues I found that using a private therapist who could go to his school and observe him at recess was super super helpful. A therapist in a clinic would not be able to do that.

Not significant b”H. Doing great at school. Needs help with neighbors.

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:02 am
Are you asking because money is a problem?
If not then definitely go private.
If you go to a clinic make sure to say exactly what you want and ask for somebody that is experienced and specializes in those issues. Also ask how long they are seeing clients. If they just started then no.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
Are you asking because money is a problem?
If not then definitely go private.
If you go to a clinic make sure to say exactly what you want and ask for somebody that is experienced and specializes in those issues. Also ask how long they are seeing clients. If they just started then no.

Money isn’t a problem in general but I don’t have an extra $400/week for two kids to see private therapists. Not even $400/month.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 6:48 am
Use a developmental pediatrician for the 4 yr old to get a diagnosis.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 7:10 am
oneofakind wrote:
Use a developmental pediatrician for the 4 yr old to get a diagnosis.

Thanks. What is a developmental pediatrician? Different than a regular one?

oneofakind

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 7:16 am
A developmental pediatrician is focused on emotional, social, behavioral, functioning. Insurance would cover that and you'll get guidance on what your 4 year old really needs.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not significant b”H. Doing great at school. Needs help with neighbors.

My DD has the exact same issue! I believe it’s anxiety, not really social skills, since she’d rather cling to my skirt and kvetch all weekend, than walk two blocks and knock on neighbors doors. If neighbors come here, she is thrilled!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:38 am
I will echo what others have said. It’s about the relationship between the therapist and the patient. I would definitely start in a clinic. Remember a lot of top private clinicians started in clinics, and many still work in clinics and see private patients.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:22 am
I would say clinic BUT make sure they involve the parent - e.g. include you in some part of the session or have a time to meet with you after the kid. That way you can personally evaluate the vibe.

first time mom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:03 pm
A therapist is like a shidduch. It needs to be the right match.
A top of the line therapist can be life changing for one client and just not work for another.
Within every clinic there are very experienced and top of the line therapist and also beginners. Do your research when beginning with any therapist whether private pay or through a clinic.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:

It’s so true- top of the line doesn’t necessarily equate success and my experience with relatively new therapists were not great
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics